Lessons Learned from our Dogs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The saying that “dogs are a man’s best friend” accurately describes how most of us who have dogs feel. Having a dog is one of the best things but it can also make leaving for college even harder. Dogs can make you a better person and they have so many things to teach us.

1.     Loyalty

Most dogs get left for hours during the work day or during the weeks your away at school but no matter what, when you come home they don’t hesitate to give you a warm greeting. They know who is important to them and they stand by them no matter what.

2.     Express yourself

Dogs have no shame in being who they are and they don’t waste any time hinting around want they want. They get to the point. So the next time you want something be upfront and say what’s on your mind. If you wait for an opportunity to come to you, your chance might be missed.

3.     Friendliness

Dogs are one of the friendliest animals. They’re always open to meeting new people and for us college students, especially freshman, it’s important to be open minded. Being in a place where there’s so many new people and opportunities, being friendly can make all the difference.

4.     Enjoy the little things

If you’ve seen a dog’s face when he’s in the car and has his head out the window, enjoying the wind, then you know a dog knows how to live in the moment. Most of us college students need to remember this once in a while, especially with finals coming up. There’s little time to do things for fun, so when you do you have to soak it up.

There’s a reason dogs are a man’s best friend and if we learned few things from them the world would be a better place.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!