Late Night Texting 101 The Do’s and the Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Yep ladies you know we all experience that late night text we either send or receive from guys who are friends or friends that are guys that you would possibly hope to make more intimate. We obsess over what to say in a measly little text message earlier in the night which ultimately turns to a helpless free-for-all when the sun goes down and the drinks start pourin’.  We throw caution to the wind, and go against our better (sober) judgement! We abuse our phones to get our feelings out to that one special guy. So let me help you ladies out with this one piece of valuable advice…STOP IMMEDITATELY. I know from past experiences whatever you say late night to a guy in a text will brutally come back to you the next morning. It’s mortifying! So please with all of your might, when it hits that time of night, put down your phone, hand it to a friend, and just don’t go through with it. Like my mother always said nothing good happens past 12 o’clock.

Check Yourself Before You Wreck Yourself. 

There are a few reasons to text when you are actually in the drinking and are possibly in a need of help, or looking for your friends at a party, but it’s time to stop kidding ourselsves when it comes to texting our sexual interest. Think it is going to work out drunk texting an ex? Nope, sorry ladies you are just digging yourself a hole. It didn’t work out for a reason then, and unless pigs are flying, that reason probably still stands true. Think it is a good idea to text that cute guy in your class you barely know? Maybe having a fantasy of playing seven minutes in heaven with him? Desperate doesn’t look good on you, or anyone. 

Give Your Phone To A Friend.

Best case situation; you get that cute guy to come over and spend the night with you; worst case situation: you text the wrong person ie. your boss/father/the Dominoes guy telling them that you want to….(you know where we’re going with this). We are all in fault for autocorrects when we are sober, and they’re even worse when a few oat sodas are involved. The best way to avoid an awkward Monday morning at the office (or worse, living in fear of ordering a pizza ever again) is to give your phone to a friend for safe keeping. It’s not only humiliating texting the wrong person, it’s also widely apparent to the person on the receiving end that you are drunk. It’s important to remember that often what you drunkenly regard as witty and sexy is likely to be extremely embarrassing when you review your messages the next morning. 

Nothing Is “Descrete” Past Midnight

I have sent and received many texts with the classic, “hey you, what are you up to?”. It’s no secret that whoever sent this is not wondering if you have started the accounting homework yet. Realize that by sending this message you’re also sending the message that you are looking for one thing and one thing only. Any guy asking to see you around last call at the bar has gotten cut off and is now looking at you as his best option for the rest of the night. Lets all do ourselves a favor and stop sending and/or responding to these ones. No matter what you say in a text past twelve o’clock is sure to make you look stupid than sexy. 

So what’s a girl to do? We all know better that drunken texting can be worrisome in the morning but also it can be exciting and pretty funny. We all do stupid things, that’s what keeps us young at heart right? Sometimes, if you want to go ahead and take the plunge, then go ahead and do it. What do you have to loose? Embarassing moments build character and construct the experiences we’ll still be laughing about with our friends years from now. Drunk texting can be bad, but it can also be good. If I used my head prior to sending the texts that led to nights spent hanging with professional poker players, doing the gagman style for Dominoes workers, or spending time with that smoke from the bar, my life would not be as exciting as it is. Take that chance, but be aware of the consequences, because you’re only young once.

Christina is currently a student at UNH studying communications and film studies. She is graduating this spring 2013'. Christina writes campus cutie articles each week as well as creative articles on the side. She is also an active member of our social networking group through instagram. Her post graduation plans are to explore and persue a career in film production. She enjoys traveling, experiencing new cultures (the history, the people, & the food!), and living life to the fullest. She is very excited to be apart of HercampusUNH. You can follow her on twitter @christinahaack