Keeping the Flame Alive Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

After a grueling semester, winter break is always a much needed vacation, but it can be difficult if your campus honey lives far away. Fear not! While five weeks may seem daunting, there are plenty of ways to keep the flame alive, even if you can’t see your beau every day.

Regardless of the mileage, you should be able to visit one another at some point, whether it be staying at one of your houses or meeting up halfway. I mean seriously, winter break can get boring real quick, you’ve got time.

When you do get a chance to see each other take part in wintertime activities. Go ice skating at a local rink or plan an overnight snowboarding trip. If you are near Boston, or any city for that matter, stroll through the common to look at the lights, take in a show-there are always plenty of seasonal events and attractions to enjoy. After a long day out in the cold, cozy up by a fire with some hot chocolate-it is winter after all, might as well get close!

For those days when you cannot see each other, take advantage of the opportunity to hang out with friends-please don’t be that chick that’s completely hung up on her beau 24/7…

You can always call, Skype, text, AIM-if you’re still into that-your honey when they’re not around. Make an effort to speak with them at least a few times a week. Phone conversations obviously aren’t as good as seeing the person face to face, but if it’s all you’ve got, put in the time.

Before you know it, winter break will be over, and you’ll be back into the swing of seeing your significant other on a more regular basis. So take the time you have apart to hang out with friends, but make room in your schedule to meet up with your beau and enjoy break together.

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.