This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Does anyone else get really excited when they go into Staples??? I don’t know if it’s just me, but every time a new school year rolls around I find so much joy in getting a new planner, notebooks, folders, pens and just re-organizing in general. It’s the simple things in life. :)

My love of notebooks started when I was young. I have about 15 just sitting in my desk at home with all my childhood thoughts and doodles scribbled on the pages. It’s fun to look back and see what was pressing information on my mind back then that I just had to write down. It usually had something to do with the Jonas Brothers new music video or what color I wanted to paint my room. I definitely need to make an entry about the Jo Bros epic comeback in 2019 for comparison.

Now, as a soon to be Senior in college, my writing has changed a bit. However, the feeling of relief I find after expressing my feelings on paper remains.

Each week I make a complete list of everything I need to accomplish. Seeing everything written down on paper can sometimes be scary, but it motivates me to be productive. The physical act of crossing a task off my list is SO validating. A lot of times in our society, we finish something, and quickly move on to the next. We don’t take any time to celebrate and be proud of ourselves for what we have accomplished, whether it is big or small. Having this list and seeing everything eventually crossed off is my little celebration.

A lot of people think that only teenage girls should journal. That all journals are pink and have a lock on the side so you can write about the biggest, juiciest crush you have on Jake from Algebra class. News flash, that couldn’t be further from the truth. Journaling doesn’t have time, age, or purpose restrictions. It is completely up to you to write whenever and however you feel.

I used to only write in my journal when something significant happened in my life. However, I have found that taking just five or ten minutes at the end of each day to carefully reflect on accomplishments, mishaps, funny moments or anything that pops in my head brings greater meaning to the everyday grind.

So, I challenge you all to set your timer for 5 minutes at the end of your day today and free-write about your day, your favorite song, your favorite person, your favorite memory, your strengths, or your dream house… anything! You will feel so renewed and reflective, guaranteed.

Carpe diem :) 

Hello! My name is Emily and I am a Senior at the University of New Hampshire studying Nutrition+Wellness. I love food, dogs, and the beach! I am excited to bring you on my journey of living well as a college student!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!