Jenni Pescatore ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Introducing this weeks Campus Celebrity Jenni Pescatore! This senior is doing something for a cause that personally I think is amazing. She is a UNH Campus Representative for Headbands of Hope, which is a non-profit organizaton that sells headbands, and with each one purchased, another one is donated to a young girl who has been stricken by Cancer. One dollar from each sale is also donated to the St. Baldrick’s Foundation, which is leading in childhood cancer research. Earlier this year, while I was attending at Philanthropy event Headbands of Hope was selling the bands right outside, obviously I though “Oh that’s an expensive headband, I’m not going to buy one.” BUT as soon as they told me what the cause was I dug straight into my wallet and pulled out money for them. Not only are you going to be buying a beautiful headband that can be worn through the day or out at night, but it goes to such an amazing cause how could you not want to buy ALL OF THEM!? So for all you who are still looking for gifts for the holidays this winter, pick up a headband from this organization. It be a great gift, and it’s giving to an amazing cause.

How did you find out about Headbands of Hope?
I met Jess Ekstrom, the CEO and founder of Headbands of Hope (HOH), back when I was in high school, before HOH even existed. This past summer I noticed on Facebook a lot of promotion for HOH on her page so I decided to check out the website. As soon as the organization’s homepage loaded, I was immediately touched. I navigated through the site and knew I wanted to help Jess with Headbands of Hope anyway I could. I emailed her and she said she is always looking for campus reps.

Why did you decide to bring it to UNH?
I knew students at UNH would be inspired just as much as I was by this organization.

What are your responsibilities as the Campus Rep for Headband of Hope?
My responsibilities include; selling Headbands of Hope around campus at different events, whether those events are sponsored by a sorority or fraternity, or an on-campus organization, I use my social media accounts to promote the organization’s newsletter and special promotions to my friends and followers hoping that they will see my posts or tweets and spread the word about HOH to their own friends and followers, I work with local boutiques to get Headbands of Hope sold there, and finally I communicate with hospitals to plan headband distributions to their young patients. This is the first year Headbands of Hope has been at UNH, and it has been such a great success on campus. I want to thank the UNH Marketing and Advertising Club for helping make it such a success, by personally helping me sell the headbands around campus!

Where can students here buy a headband/ what events are you guys at?
There are so many ways to buy headbands! Students can contact me directly (jmt998@Unh.edu) and look through the headbands I have, and then make a purchase, or they can look for a Headbands of Hope table around campus at events. The headbands that are sold at events vary because it depends on whether or not I get permission to sell them. With this being the first year at UNH selling Headbands of Hope, it has been a learning experience. It has taken trial and error to figure out the best plan to go out selling the headbands, but usually student orgs are more than generous in letting me set up a table to sell them at their events. Also, you can always make a purchase at www.headbandsofhope.org and use the promocode: hopejenni to get $1 off your purchase!

How would a student who wanted to be involved with this organization do so?
Join the UNH Marketing and Advertising Club! That’s the best way because it allows everyone who wants to help a chance to meet twice a month at the club meetings and strategize ways to spread the word about Headbands of Hope! If a student belongs to a team, they can also pitch the idea of buying matching headbands as a team. My roommate is on the Sisters in Step dance team and volunteered the idea of wearing Headbands of Hope during their Winter Showcase. I am extremely excited to say that all 26 girls on the Sisters in Step dance team will be representing HOH December 8th at their show by incorporating the silver Headbands of Hope Glitter Band into their costumes. Not to mention 26 girls fighting cancer will receive a headband of their own!

What’s your favorite part about being involved in this organization? And Why was it important for you to bring this cause to UNH?
My favorite part about being involved with this organization is being able to help spread hope to young girls in the most perfect way. It’s truly amazing how this organization is changing lives one headband at a time. Once people hear about Headbands of Hope, they want to get involved anyway they can, whether it be by donation or by buying a headband of their own. It was important for me to bring HOH to UNH because it’s a way for college students to give back to those less fortunate then they are. Sometimes its easy to forget just how fortunate you are, and this organization really helped me put into perspective what’s actually important in life. I know that since joining, HOH has made such a great impact on my life, it would surely do the same to other UNH students.

Do you hope to continue doing this while here at UNH or even after?
Sadly, I am graduating in May, so after that I will no longer belong to a campus, and therefor cannot be a campus rep. I am going to continue with my campus rep position until that day, and I will be working hard to develop a solid foundation for Headbands of Hope at UNH so the rep after me has something to work off of and then run with it. I will always promote Headbands of Hope, however, even if I am not a campus rep. I will continue to make purchases and look for opportunities to spread the word about HOH. This organization has really opened my eyes to what’s important in life and it has truly touched my heart. I am so thankful for everyone who has made a difference by buying a headband and I hope that together, UNH can continue to make a strong presence in funding childhood cancer research.

UNH Her Campus Editor in Cheif Member since 2012Junior Chi Omega SisterHelath Management and Policy Major with a Minor in Sociology Originally from Orono, ME. Lover of Fashion, Fall, and Food