This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

During the second semester of my sophomore year of college, I had a false epiphany about myself that ended up sending me down a mental rabbit hole for months. I created this narrative that everything I had done in school and work was simply because of luck and I personally had nothing to do with the success I have had thus far. I doubted my abilities, questioned every A+ I earned and wondered if the people I was interning for chose me because I actually earned it. I made up stories in my head that the teacher curved all my assignments to reflect a better grade than my work was worth. I told myself that my boss only hired me because they were in desperate need of help and I was the only person who applied. It took me the entire summer and part of this fall to figure out that what I was feeling was very common among students but hardly talked about. Imposter syndrome is the inability to feel like the success and achievements you have made for yourself are deserved. In all honesty, I personally believe that doubting ourselves once in a while is part of being human, but knowing when it turns into something bigger is important to know. For me, I’ve spent this fall semester attempting to change my mindset, celebrate the things I have earned and really believe I have earned them because I am capable and have a good work ethic. I’ve listed some of the tips below that have helped me see things more clearly and encourage you to try some of them if you feel the negative thoughts about your abilities get too loud.

Decrease your social media intake

This one is the hardest tip, so take it day by day. Social media can be so detrimental to your mental health (this is no secret) and seeing what other people are doing all day every day is simply none of your concern. I found my biggest feelings of doubt occurred when I saw someone else’s success on social media. Whether it’s them talking about a goal they finally reached or a job they landed post-graduation, it is important to remember that your success is not measured in comparison to others. They might have worked hard to earn that internship, but that doesn’t mean you didn’t to get yours. Being confident in your successes and celebrating others are not mutually exclusive feelings and you are capable of feeling both.

Look Back at Your Younger Self

This tip has always helped me shift things into perspective and rethink those negative thoughts. I guarantee that if your younger self looked and saw everything you have gone through and accomplished, they would be amazed. Life has a funny way of taking us through obstacles we don’t see until we’re through and giving ourselves credit for overcoming something can be impossible. Thinking about your past self and how proud they would be of you really helps put things into perspective and grow a newfound appreciation for all of your accomplishments, at least for me.

Positive Self-Talk

Honestly, the only reason I tried this one is because I had exhausted all other options. To my surprise, this one proved to be the most beneficial. For me, imposter syndrome starts with my thoughts, and your thoughts can determine many outcomes in your life. I try to live by the mentality of “you can’t control your first thought, but you can control your second” and it has helped me immensely. Just to be clear, positive self-talk doesn’t have to consist of looking into a mirror and saying three things you like about yourself. It can be as simple as reminding yourself of that time you got an A on a test you studied weeks for, or telling yourself you’re a great listener because you helped a friend work through a problem. Implementing these little boosts of confidence during the day can help change your thinking patterns more than you may realize, all you have to do is try them out and find what works for you!

University of New Hampshire '25 Business Admin: Information Systems & Business Analytics.