The Importance of The UNH Squirrel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Unless you are a UNH student, it is hard to understand the importance of the UNH squirrel. 

Here on campus, we are surrounded by nature and with nature comes the inhabiting wildlife.  Squirrels, chipmunks, and even skunks are often seen going from class to class or while out at night.  Nobody really knows why, but we love the squirrels and get excited to see them hoping up on trees, making their way across snow banks, or, sifting for nuts in the fallen leaves. 

Students are so crazy about the squirrel that they even created a Tinder for it.  Most of us were not surprised at the fact that this happened, I was simply surprised at the fact that it didn’t happen sooner.

Snap Chat geotags usually include some sort of significance related to the place of the snap.  This here is one of the university’s geotags.  Many people, including myself, believe that this is very important. There is no geotag of a wildcat…enough said.  This does not mean that we do not take pride in being the Wildcats (which we do very much so) but we take almost as much pride in our squirrels.
That’s right.  There is an Instagram for our squirrels and it has a pretty decent amount of followers. This account posts pictures of squirrels to keep us updated on how our furry friends are doing; plus it brightens each of our days a little bit to see a UNH squirrel on our feed every once in a while.

There truly is a second mascot for the University of New Hampshire and that folks is the mighty squirrel.

My name is Giselle Pimentel and I am a Freshman at the University of New Hampshire.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!