I’m Thankful for the Last 365 Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I am so thankful for the last 365 days since last Thanksgiving, when I was a freshman. I’m thankful for my family, my dogs, my friends, and for everything in my life, but I’m also thankful for everything that has happened in the last year up to now. 

A lot has changed since last Thanksgiving. I was not as social last year and I didn’t have very many people to call my friends. I felt lonely a lot. I didn’t feel like I belonged anywhere. By the end of fall semester, I was ready to go home. I was stressed out and just wanted to be home, to the place where I felt most comfortable. Then second semester came around. I opened up a little more to people (and I mean like 2 more people) and I tried my best to find where I belonged, but I never did. By the end of spring semester, I could probably count the number of friends I had on one hand. I remember sitting down with one and telling them how up and down my freshman year was. She said to me, “Lauren you need to get involved, you need to find the people you connect with most,” and that’s what I did. (below is a picture of me and my Big)

I turned my year around the day I started my sophomore year and I’ve never been happier. 365 days later and I can definitely say things have changed. All the bumps in the road leading up to this point have made me into the person I am today. I’m thankful for: everything that has been difficult, all the fights, all the stress, all my friends that have helped me along the way, all the support from my family, and so much more. It’s showed me that things do get better. Everyone is given their chance in life to figure out who they are, and it’s okay if it takes you a little longer to find your place. But, thank you to the people below for being my best friends. I am so thankful to call you my family, you goons. I know whenever I need them, they will drop anything to be there. And they have. 

I am thankful for the last 365 days for making me into the person I am today. Sophomore year has been the best semester yet. This would not have happened if I had an “easy” freshman year and I will never say I regret the choices I made freshman year. I can say with confidence that after 365 days I am happy. Thanks to the last 365 days, I can say that I have experienced hardships, that I was tough, and that I have found a bright side to difficult situations when I thought I’d always be alone.  I’m also thankful for my freshman year for showing me what it’s like to actually be a college student and how I can improve on it this year. And lastly, I’m happy that the last 365 days have gotten me to this point in my life. I wouldn’t want it any other way. 

Here’s to the next 365 days. I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!

HCXO​

Hi! I'm Lauren and I am a Senior Genetics Major and CC for Her Campus at UNH in a world where you can be anything, be kind :)
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!