The Hunger Games: Movie Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Oh. Em. Gee. I don’t remember the last time I was so excited for a movie, and I don’t remember ever leaving so satisfied after seeing a book-into-movie film! The Hunger Games was PERFECT. The directors definitely stayed close to the book, and the things they changed were all in good reason.

Here are my thoughts:

The mockingjay pin was definitely more meaningful as a gift from Prim to Katniss, rather than the mayor’s daughter.

Katniss and Peeta’s first kiss=UNREAL. I was so happy with the ending of the movie too! I thought it was smart how the two return to District 12 with an open-ended relationship, instead of Katniss telling Peeta that her love for him was only for television purposes. Also Peeta is a dime.

Poor Rue! She was so cute. I wish the movie explained the “three fingers to the mouth, then held out” because it really was so symbolic when District 12 did it for Katniss after she volunteered as tribute and when Katniss did it after burying Rue in flowers. It seemed kind of strange that District 11 started a huge rebellion upon Rue’s death because you don’t know if they all ended up dying. I figured they would though if they messed with the capitol. Yikes. I also wish District 11 sending Katniss a loaf of bread was in the movie, because it seemed like a huge part of her survival in the book.

Speaking of survival, is it just me or did Katniss seem too on top of it? In the book it was more of a serious struggle for life, and in the movie it seemed like she was able to survive every encounter with a tribute with nothing more than a little blood or a few trackerjacker stings. Her acting was still flawless though.

If Stanley Tucci doesn’t win serious awards for his role as Caesar Flickerman, I will cry. He was IDENTICAL to the way Caesar was described in the book, and every time they flashed his laugh I couldn’t stop laughing myself. Perfection.

Such a random moment, but it was so cute when Gale was watching The Games on television and saw Katniss and Peeta kiss. I’m still unsure about where these relationships are headed, but I’m sure I’ll find out once I start the second book!

(Sorry girls, your CCs are still #teamPeeta!) 

If you haven’t seen the movie yet, what are you waiting for!? Best movie of the year by far. 

Massachusetts raised, California living. I talk about my semester abroad too much (miss you, London). Follow my adventures at: OneBrickLane.Tumblr.Com 
New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.