kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

How to Survive the Stomach Flu at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I am sure most of you know that the stomach flu is spreading like wild fire around our campus. I had the luxury of contracting the virus last week and it was the sickest I have been in many years. It can also be difficult to be sick in college because of the fear of falling behind in classes. Not to mention, throwing up for a day straight without your mom to bring you ginger ale can be a tough challenge to overcome. However, there are ways to cope with the stomach flu that will heal you in no time.

1. Stay in bed

You need sleep to fight the virus. I slept for twenty hours straight when I was infected. No matter how stressed you are about missing classes, your health is your number one priority. Professors will understand if you miss a few classes and will certainly help you catch up once you are healed. Also, you do not want to infect your peers with the stomach flu.

2. Drink fluids

The stomach flu is notorious for dehydrating your body. In some cases, the dehydration can be so severe that it leads to hospitalization. Make sure you are continuously drinking water. Also, ask your roommate to grab you a Gatorade from the vending machine for electrolytes. Remember to take small sips so you do not upset you stomach even more.

3. Soup and toast are your friends

When I had the stomach bug, I ate a real meal way too early and upset my stomach again. In my opinion, I would wait three to four days before diving into your favorite meal even if you are feeling a little better. Your stomach will thank you in the end for all of the soup and toast you fed it.

4. Call your mom

It is tough to have to take care of yourself when you are sick at college, especially when you are hunched over in bed because of stomach pains. Although your mom cannot be there to take care of you, you can still call her for comfort. For me, talking to my mom always eases my worries and makes me feel better.

5. It’s okay to ask for help

Finally, ask your roommates for help. Your roommates do not want to see you sick and I am sure they would be happy to take care of you. The stomach flu makes it hard to stand up and walk around so don’t be afraid to ask your friends to help you out!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!