How to Stay on Top of Your Studies at UNH

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Whether it’s your first time at college or you’re a seasoned upperclassman looking to refresh your study habits, here are a few helpful suggestions on how to stay on top of your assignments at UNH.

Places & Spaces:

• Dimond Library: This place should become a home away from your dorm here at UNH. Located behind T-Hall and Murkland, this is the place you should always go to get stuff done. With computers, multiple rooms to study in, eager to help librarians, and countless other resources at your fingertips, the Dimond Library is a great place to go if you have a few hours in-between classes and need somewhere to study or need to meet up with classmates for a project. The library is also home to Zeke’s Café located on the second level, where they feature Starbucks drinks, sandwiches, side salads, fruit cups, and a variety of protein/breakfast bars. 
  • Memorial Union Building: The Memorial Union Building, also known as the MUB, is the center for all student activity here on campus and a building you will become very familiar with during your time at UNH. Located off Main St., in between Hamilton Smith and Huddleston, the MUB has numerous rooms to study in. My personal favorite is the bean bag room connected to Union Court, I mean seriously, who can resist cuddling up in a giant bean bag to do their homework?! Another good location to get work done is Union Court, a big open area that’s great for getting work done or socializing while also grabbing a bite to eat. On every floor of the MUB, you can find plenty of tables and chairs to study at if you prefer a little more solitude.

• Any Café or Coffee Shop: Saxbys, Breaking New Grounds, Aroma Joe’s, The Works, and The Juicery are among the best cafés in Durham to go and spend the day at getting work done. Bring everything with you in the morning and spend a couple hours at one of these places, grab some breakfast or lunch there, and grind out some of those assignments you’ve been procrastinating on.

Tips & Tricks:

• If you don’t have one already, it’s time to invest in a laptop. I promise you will not regret dropping a good chunk of change on a nice laptop that you will use the rest of your life (just don’t break it), they help maximize your time (most classes assign the homework online) by being able to get your work done anywhere and on your own time.  
  • I know most people are visual and physical learners so you would prefer to have a hard copy of your textbooks, but in order to cut down on carrying all that extra weight with you all day long and helping to save the environment, purchasing the online textbook option is cheaper and worthy option I would consider.   

• Carry a planner! Seriously, if you actually use it, it will be a lifesaver, trust me. Just take 30 seconds each class and right down what the homework is and the due dates for the quizzes, tests, and projects and you will thank yourself later when you randomly open your planner while eating breakfast and realize you have a test in your 8 a.m.
  • Weekdays. Make Monday through Thursday your days, those are your designated days to work on yourself and get whatever you need to get done, done. Whether it be the 5 assignments you have due the following Monday, shopping for a cute outfit for the weekend, getting ahead on a project that’s due in 2 weeks, or hitting those group exercise classes you’ve been dying to go to, Monday through Thursday should be your most productive days. Put on your favorite playlist and go at it because let’s be honest, we all know you’re not going to get anything done on the weekend.
  • Go to your professor’s and TA’s office hours!!! Yes, I know, you have been told this a thousand times but have you actually done it? If you are anything like me, the answer is no, not unless you had to go make-up a quiz you missed. Seriously though, your professors would love to put a face to the name. Introducing yourself and establishing a relationship and earning brownie points is always a good idea, especially when it comes down to asking for your grade to brought up from that 89 to a 90.  

I hope these words of advice help you enjoy an organized and stress-free school year! Go Wildcats! 

Hey Y’all! I’m currently a senior at the Univeristy of New Hampshire studying Program and Event Management! I transferred here from Texas as a Sophmore!  A couple fun facts about me are: I have lived in 6 different states, I’m obsessed with fashion and photography, and I LOVE to sing country music!!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!