Wellness

How Routines Help You Build Self-Trust

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

My Experience

Routines enable me to build more trust in myself and lead me towards a more productive lifestyle. Without routines, I find myself lacking motivation and falling back into bad habits. Forgetting my own routines is like forgetting my car keys; I feel trapped and idle. I lose a sense of self and succumb to directionless actions. Routines are the backbone of my self-care routine—the foundations of building inner trust.

It is important to reclaim and keep routines stable, especially during winter break when we find ourselves with an abundance of free time. Succumbing to the numbness of a lack of routine and a feeling of emptiness can be solved by creating one’s own routine. They allow us to maintain a sense of purpose as a means of keeping ourselves afloat if not successfully swimming into the territories of self-trust. By continuing to read, not only are you exposed to the three reasons why routines help build inner trust, but you are also taking the first step in your own journey towards self-trust.

NO.1: They Make Yourself a Priority

Self-trust starts with knowing that you are important and feeling that you matter. By setting aside a certain amount of time each day—each week to a routine of your choice, you create these feelings of importance in that this time is for yourself. As you are putting aside the hassles of life and declaring that this time is for yourself, subconsciously, these routines tell you that you are important and worthy of taking up time and space. You are worthy of every minute in the routine and nothing else can take that away from you. They remind you that you matter enough to have these moments for yourself. It is important to give yourself this time because after a while these routines will subconsciously remind you that you are a priority and you are important.

NO. 2: They Encourage Self-Love

True self-trust comes from a place of self-importance and inner compassion, both of which routines cultivate. Many routines can focus on things such as self-care which is important for self-love, and even just the idea of taking aside time to give towards yourself is exceptional towards self-love. By making yourself a priority, you are able to not only telling yourself that you are important but that you are worthy of love and attention. Routines enable you to give yourself love that can build the foundations of inner trust.

NO. 3: They Inspire Self-Confidence

Routines can give you a sense of purpose and fulfill you as if each routine were some mission to complete, and by doing each one you can build your inner confidence. They create a sentiment of purpose that allows you to feel connected to your life. Without purpose, we lack motivation and confidence, but with it we can grow into ourselves. Additionally, routines can encourage a feeling of accomplishment from crossing off each, and the small dopamine rush of accomplishment can encourage self-confidence in that you did it—you fulfilled a task!

Conclusion

Routines come in all types and lengths. They can be done before bed, upon waking up or even throughout the day. The length can vary from one minute to even an hour. Some kinds can be dedicated towards mindfulness, such as yoga, free dancing, journaling, expressing gratitude, meditation, mind and body check ins, etc. Others are more practical day-to-day habits such as making the bed daily, eating three meals a day, exercising on certain days of the week, etc. Overall, routines are up to the individual themselves, and thus, you get to decide how you want to dedicate your time towards you. After all, this is a way to feel connected to yourself and build that inner trust. You are capable of creating this change—this growth within you towards self-trust. Start with the foundation (thinking of routines) and work your way up!

Keri studies psychology and writing at UNH. She is a published poet of four collections available online, and she also runs Meadow Mouse Zine. Besides poetry, she is invested in self-development, healing the inner child and thrifting. You can find Keri at @keri.27 on Instagram.