“Hipster Glam” Street Style: Ashley Varney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Perfect camo look: jacket, dress and booties all from Bobbles and Lace, sunglasses- Steven Madden

What year are you?

First year

What is your major?

Business Management. (Ashley is also a licensed Cosmetologist and Esthetician in the state of New Hampshire. Her dream job is to work as a makeup artist or fashion/hair stylist).

How would you describe your style?

I honestly can’t put a name on my style because one day is completely different then the next. However my roommate told me she calls it “Hipster Glam.” 

What would you never be caught wearing?

A frown…what’s uglier than a frown?

Arm candy: from Bobbles and Lace, Alex and Ani, Tj Maxx, Cape Cod Jewelers and Pretty Little Things

One item from your closet you can’t live without?

My jean jeggings from Express, they are my college essential. On the days I want to be more comfortable I slip on these because they are as comfy as yogas & look 100x better. Also, you’ll never catch me without my arm party/arm candy on both arms, I wear them 24/7. 

Favorite designers?

My favorite places to find clothes are: Bobbles and Lace and Pretty Little Things. They are my favorite boutiques in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Also Summer Sessions and Cinnamon Rainbow Surf Shop are my summer essential stores in Rye & Hampton, New Hampshire. Haute and Rebellious and Free People are my favorite websites for clothing.

Favorite go-to outfit to wear around campus?

My black skinny jeans, black combat boots & a top, whether it’s a destroyed sweater or a faux fur vest.

Everyday look: destroyed sweater -Bobbles and Lace, necklace – Forever 21, black skinny jeans- Macy’s, black combat boots – Charlotte Russe

Favorite things to wear right now?

My favorite color is black because I love that I can dress it up or down. I usually wear a lot of jewelry with it, so usually something I love to wear has black in it. I like to play around with different colors as well. I’ve been going with the mint green trend for a while now too. My favorites are anything studded and sparkly, but not cheap looking. 

Blogs you read or follow?

I watch about 30 different YouTube Channels, so I spend a lot of time watching OOTD (Outfit of the Day) videos. My favorite is Grav3yardGirl, nguerrieo19, and laurenbeautyy. They are all very different and have a unique fashion that I always try to incorporate in my own style. 

What are you looking forward to wearing this spring?

I’m looking forward to making a creation I’ve had in my head for a while. I want to pick up some overalls, cut them into shorts, add some studs and tie an American Flag bandana onto it, with a red bandeau underneath. 

Romper look: Romper- Booties Bobbles and Lace, tights -Target

Style inspirations?

Marilyn Monroe and Lady Gaga are my “famous” inspirations. As far as Lady Gaga goes I love that you never know what to expect her to wear and she’s not afraid to wear anything and Marilyn Monroe embodies such poise and class to me.

Tumblr is great to look for fashion tips, if I see just one thing someone is wearing that I like, I usually save the picture in a folder on my computer called “Inspirations.” I like to look through and see what things I can pair together and find just like it when I’m out shopping.

Style advice?

1. Honestly, girls who really follows the no white pants after Labor Day rule? WHITE PANTS ARE HOT, so I wear them year round.

2. Don’t be afraid to go down to the thrift store. I find awesome shirts there for $2 that I cut up and put my own style into.

3. If you have a vision in your head of something you like, make it. Best part about it, is that no one else will have it. 

4. Be unique. I wear anything if I like it. I could care less if I get 10 weird looks walking to class.

5. Glitter.