Hey, You, Yeah You – Get Out and Vote!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Thursday, February 4th was the Thursday before the New Hampshire Primary and the Democrat Debate was held at the University of New Hampshire. Excitement was in the air and there was no denying that the students at UNH were amped to be part of history. New Hampshire is quite the political hub and going to school in New Hampshire, I’m sure many of you can back me up on that. Candidates have come to UNH to ask for student’s support in their campaigns. We have been handed an endless amount of information, it is almost too much to handle. From Jeb Bush supporters to Bernie Sanders rallies – it is clear that UNH students are taking full advantage of this opportunity to get involved in politics. We are truly so lucky to be students in New Hampshire during a Presidential Primary. We are given the opportunity to hear some of the most influential political figures and listen to what they want to do for America. This is something that not many people around the world can say they experienced. It may seem like your vote doesn’t count but what many young voters seem to forget is that with mass amounts of young people heading into the primary with this mentality – you all add up. You all add up to a voice that is not being heard. In the United States of America, if you are a citizen and you are 18 years of age or older – it is not only your right, but also your responsibility to vote.

Voting is literally the chance to change history. It gives you a chance to say that you went out there and you attempted to have your voice heard. Even if whom you voted for did not win – at least you tried. Think of all the people across the world that is not given this opportunity. Oh, yeah and hey ladies – you were not even allowed to vote until 1918. That is craziness and simply an injustice that took to long to be addressed so you should be voting. The fact that at one point in time this nation saw woman as a lesser – and the fact that are still injustices that we as woman face – should be enough especially to get young woman and anyone who identifies as a feminist out there to vote. Voting for your rights, and voting for what you believe is the best for all members of this country; not just the white men is so important.

Many people are on the side that voting is something you should absolutely take part in. However, where a lot of people lose sight of this revelation is the fact that they have no idea who to vote for. They either are not involved in politics or just do not like it. In this case many people either end up not voting, or they vote for whom their parents or other adults in their lives are voting for. That is not the only solution and it is not too late to figure out whom to vote for. First off we have this thing called the Internet, which is an endless, pit of knowledge – check it out. Also, go to isidewith.com for more information on who you side with. It is really easy to be swayed by the people you spend the most time around, so make sure you are voting for what and who you believe in personally. This is a personal decision and one to not take lightly.

NextGen Climate will be providing rides to the polls in Durham, NH from 7 am – 7 pm on Tuesday, February 9th so make sure to take advtanges of this free ride to get out and vote. Aren’t from New Hampshire? That’s okay – NH has this really awesome day of registration so as long as you have your student ID along with your state ID or license you are able to vote in NH. Get out and vote because young voters matter – you could change the course history. 

Amanda received her Bachelor of Arts in Communication from the University of New Hampshire in May of 2016. During her time at the University of New Hampshire, Amanda was a member of UNH's Her Campus team serving as a Contributing Writer, Co-Social Media Manager and Co-Campus Corespondent. In addition, she was also a Chapter Advisor for five HC Chapters. It was through her internships with WGBH&PBS, SheSpeaks, Inc. and the UNH Social Media Department that Amanda realized she wanted to pursue a career in Digital Marketing and Social Media with a focus in the publishing and media industry. In her free time, Amanda likes anything involving food, hanging out by any body of water, and spending time with her amazing friends and family. Follow her on Instagram @barba_amanda
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!