Molly Peach-Yosemite Valley
Molly Peach-Yosemite Valley
Molly Peach / Her Campus
Style

Here’s to Sustainable Fashion: Four Companies That Are Making an Impact

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With the majority of the population practicing social distancing (please, I pray), there is an awful lot of time to kill. I have turned to online shopping, which I can guess I am not alone in. Over the years I have become increasingly more conscious about where I spend my money, especially with clothing. I always try to buy second-hand, or from a brand that is not fast fashion. It’s impossible to be perfect, but with this free time, I’d like to take some time to highlight some clothing companies and brands that are making an effort to be more sustainable. 

The first company I’d like to talk about is The Drift Collective, which is local for me! Based out of Portsmouth, NH, The Drift Collective makes 100% upcycled clothing right in their store. They have a wide variety of t-shirts, hoodies, accessories, and hand-made swimsuits available. Each piece is unique with an incredibly cool aesthetic. Their Plastic Killz collection raises awareness about the devastating impact plastic has on our oceans: a much cited statistic as of late, by 2050 there will be more plastic in our oceans than fish. 12% of the proceeds from the collection goes to ocean protection and conservation. 

Founder Emily Stearns writes on the site: “My self-education on the fashion industry, matched with my passion for sustainability, led me to realize that radical change was necessary in this industry and I wanted to fight for it. It was at this point that Drift was really born.”

This is an awesome company to support and I cannot wait to go there in person once I am back in New Hampshire in the fall.

Nothing New is a sneaker company that makes their shoes from 100% post-consumer recycled plastic, industrial fishing nets, and cotton. They partner with various nonprofits that work on various eco-friendly projects, have similar commitments to sustainability, or can help them maintain their own sustainability goals. They are a transparent company regarding their production and their goals for improvement. All the sneakers are made in Sichaun, China, following fifteen months of negotiations and audits to ensure ethical workplace conditions and a commitment to sustainability during production. They also partnered with three nonprofits specifically to help Nothing New keep its carbon neutral commitment. 

Per their website, each pair of sneakers is equivalent to 5.6 plastic water bottles. The look is classic and there are several staple colors to choose from. This will definitely be the next pair of shoes I buy.

These next two companies shift from citing sustainable materials to conservation efforts. 

Parks Project is a clothing company that partners with various National Parks and public lands nonprofits to preserve important ecosystems in the United States and Canada. A portion of each purchase from Parks Project goes directly to one of their partnered nonprofits. Most recently, Parks Project has partnered with National Geographic for a specialized clothing and accessory line. From this collection, three of the products (two shirts and a bag)  are made from upcycled materials. They have also previously collaborated with Sierra Club and California State Parks Foundation. 

Per their website, all their clothing is locally dyed in California, they use US-grown cotton, and have water-conserving equipment in their production sites. 

Patagonia, despite being a very large company, makes commendable efforts and contributions to environmental activism groups and conservation efforts. They have a self-imposed, “1% for the Planet tax” that goes directly to nonprofits working to protect the environment all over the world. A page on their website is dedicated to the groups that they contribute to. Another section features their “Global Sports Activists”, who are employees also dedicating their time and energy to environmental action and positive social engagement. Patagonia also highlights various conservation, sustainability, and climate action news and stories on their site. 

Their Worn Wear extension helps customers extend the life of their Patagonia products, and, even cooler, makes new Patagonia products from used ones. Customers can recycle their old Patagonia products to Worn Wear and receive a credit to get a (re)new(ed) piece. The goal is to keep as many perfectly usable products out of landfills, and to not waste resources on brand new pieces. Patagonia already creates products meant to last, so their own efforts to further extend the lives of their clothing is awesome. 

It is never too late to start examining where our clothes come from. Making conscious choices to support local and worldwide companies that can prove they care about the planet and the people on it, not just say it, is a great step in living a more sustainable life. There’s not one, perfect way to do it; it takes lots of research and making personal choices that make the most sense for what you support. My advice is always to shop smart and shop local, but don’t condemn yourself for missing something. Support the companies, big or small, that reflect your values and you can see making a difference. 

Check out the companies I talked about here!

https://thedriftcollective.com/pages/about

https://nothingnew.com/

https://www.parksproject.us/

https://www.patagonia.com/home/ 

https://wornwear.patagonia.com/

I'm from Vermont but I don't ski and I don't like maple syrup.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!