HC UNH Abroad: Melissa Keefe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

When you’re minoring in Spanish it only makes since to spend a few months in Spain right? Well, that is exactly what our very own writer Melissa Keefe has been doing this semester. Read up about her amazing time so far in Barcelona, Spain.

Why did you choose to study abroad in Spain?

I chose to study here because I wanted to go to a Spanish speaking country; Spanish is my minor so I thought that Spain would be the perfect and I could travel throughout Europe at the same time. I chose Barcelona because I wanted to be on the coast and live in an urban and fun city.

What was the hardest part about leaving?

Leaving my friends and family was the hardest part but having my phone, email and Facebook has made it easy to keep in contact. Also knowing that I wouldn’t be eating anything buffalo chicken flavored for 4 months was depressing.

How have you been adjusting to life over there? 

I feel like I have adjusted very quickly over here! I love the food when I go out to eat. Spanish food is tapas, which is a creative concept. The Spanish culture is completely different than American culture; here they go out until 7 am! The amount of public affection was a huge culture shock to me as well, you might see people making out on the metro and it is seen as normal behavior. Also Spaniards enjoy people watching, so staring is completely normal. My sleep pattern has adjusted and I was only jet lagged for the first week, which was surprising!

What are some slang terms they use over there? What is the equivalent to American slang?

Some Spanish slang that they use a lot is the word “vale” The pronounce the “V” like the letter “B” and it means, “okay.” Many Spaniards use it after a sentence, especially my professors here. Another word that they use is “guapa” Many people will address you on the street saying “Hola, guapa” translated it literally means “Hello pretty” but many Spaniards use it like “Hey, what’s up”

What has been the most exciting thing about Europe so far?

I have to say traveling to the South of France. My friends set up a wine tour one day and it was one of the best experiences I have ever had. We also visited the most picturesque beach town called Collioure, France. I thought I was in paradise for a couple hours. The weather was perfect and the crepes were amazing.

What are you most excited to do in the next few months- any trips planned?

I have plans to go to London this weekend with some friends and we keep talking about how excited we are to take our Platform 9 ¾  photo! I get to see some UNH girls within the next few weekends that are studying in Europe as well. Also I am really excited to go to the Canary Islands for Spring Break with my sister!

What is a common stereo-type of Americans over in Spain? Are they in any way true?

Americans don’t have the best stereo-type here in Europe, especially in Spain. Many Spaniards believe that all Americans who come here are extremely rich. Also we are viewed as crazy partiers who get too drunk and make regrettable decisions. Many Spaniards believe they can take advantage of American girls. These stereotypes are 100% not true!

Who/What are you going to miss most when this is all over?

I am going to miss my new friends the most. I have made life-long friends that live all over the country and can’t wait to visit them in the fall! Also I am going to miss the city of Barcelona it’s become my home for the past 4 months and the last thing I want to do is leave the city I fell in love with.

Do you think studying abroad has changed you in any way? Is it something you recommend all students do?

Yes, I feel like I have become more independent while here. I have learned so much about myself in such a short amount of time. I would definitely recommend everyone to go abroad. It is the best experience of your life. If I could go back I would have done a year abroad in a heartbeat. You are never going to have the opportunity to travel Europe/Anywhere for a semester with no responsibilities besides not losing your passport! Don’t let the idea of a language barrier hold you back, many students who come here did not know any Spanish beforehand.  GO ABROAD!! Seriously, you won’t regret it. 

UNH '15
UNH Her Campus Editor in Cheif Member since 2012Junior Chi Omega SisterHelath Management and Policy Major with a Minor in Sociology Originally from Orono, ME. Lover of Fashion, Fall, and Food