This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As a sophomore in college, this year has been completely different than last year. This was the year I knew UNH was the right choice, I found my future career path and began taking classes I’ve never had the opportunity to take. Aside from all the good, this year I experienced something all college students, and people worldwide have been affected by. As of a couple months ago, the world has been trying to navigate the health crisis of COVID-19. Like many other schools, UNH has decided to go online for some time being. Because I’ve taken an online course in the winter, I feel prepared to gain knowledge online but can also provide some helpful tips to those who are uneasy about this big adjustment.

Something that is really important when going online is staying organized. When we are on campus, we are in the swing of things and constantly have professors telling us when assignments are coming up. When we are at home, we are responsible for knowing and meeting our deadlines. Something as simple as having a calendar can make a big difference. This can be a physical, printed calendar or an online calendar like Google Calendar/ another app. Also, for me, I find it very helpful to organize my “to do list” by each week, so I keep a sticky note on my desktop with the week’s agenda. Lastly, I keep a notebook of the things I hope to accomplish each day. This way I am rewriting assignments and will notice if I’ve missed one. I also find it helpful to be able to cross of each task after I complete them.

Another habit to maintain is to keep a schedule. Although we are home, we may still have Zoom class sessions or other forms of online meetings. It can be really helpful to create a planned schedule in which you might “attend” a class and then prepare time to get work done. By having a set time to complete work, you can avoid having your assignments build up and diffusing the workload throughout the week.  

Lastly, if possible, try to keep a space dedicated to schoolwork. Whether that be a home office or the public library, having a space to go to work creates a successful mindset. It’s like going to the library on campus; often we’re more productive and only go there when we need to get work done.

This situation is new to everyone and changing every day. Both the students and staff are taking this day by day and trying to navigate the courses. Whether you are online for a few weeks or the rest of the semester, you’re not alone and will adjust to this new way of schooling with time. All of this will eventually pass and return to normal but in the meantime, you just have to try to get through these online classes and make the best of the situation!

I'm Emily Burbano and I'm from New Jersey. I'm a junior at the University of New Hampshire majoring in Human Development and Family Studies with a minor in Child Life!