Style > Beauty

Guide to a Healthier Makeup Routine 

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Your skin is the largest organ in the body. It absorbs nutrients, toxins and everything it’s exposed to. Lots of popular makeup brands have great products that meet all your expectations, but can often contain hazardous ingredients that ultimately do more bad than good. Now don’t get me wrong, I am makeup girly just as much as the next, but if there is a way I can nourish my skin safely while obtaining a beautiful look, I will do just that. 

My mom was the first person who introduced me to some very helpful sites when looking to invest in new products. Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) Skin Deep, Think Dirty and Mamavation are just some sites I personally love, which have helped me find clean products. Having multiple sources provides me with backups if I am unable to find certain products at first glance. I will hone in on one that I think is very useful, which is the EWG’s Skin Deep. This site is super user-friendly. Simply search www.ewg.org, and once on the site, you can use their personalized search engine to look up products you may be wondering about. Now it’s no guarantee it has every product, but for the ones it does, it will give it a numeric rating from 0-10. Zero is essentially another term for EWG’s Verified. This means the product does not contain any alarming ingredients. As the number value increases, so does the toxicity level. Ranges 1-2 are low hazard, ranges 3-6 are moderate hazard, and ranges 7-10 are high hazard. This site will also disclose the data availability they have about each product as being low, moderate, or high. 

If I were to create my perfect makeup look step by step using one of my favorite sites, EWG’s Skin Deep, this is one of many variations I could come up with: 

1. Priming– Revlon: Photoready Prime Plus Perfecting + Smoothing primer (EWG Verified) 
  2. Foundation– Rejuva Minerals: Luminous Creme Foundation (EWG Verified)
  3. Contour– E.L.F.: Cream Contour Palette (Rated: 1)
  4. Bronzer– W3LL PEOPLE: Bio Bronzer Stick (EWG Verified)
  5. Blush– Honest Beauty: LIT Powder Blush (EWG Verified)
  6. Highlighter– Rare Beauty: Positive Light Silky Touch Highlighter (Rated: 2)
  7. Mascara– Jones Road: Beauty The Mascara (Rated: 2)
  8. Eyebrow Pencil: NYX: Professional Makeup Vegan Micro Eyebrow Pencil (Rated:2)
  9. Eyeshadow– Eartha: The Break of Dawn Eye Shadow Palette (EWG Verified)

This may not be every step or the exact steps you use in your daily makeup routine, but just remember there are so many sites you can use to aid you during your healthy makeup journey!

Hey everyone! I am currently a junior studying Health Sciences at UNH! My favorite hobbies include working out, painting, shopping, trying new things, and playing basketball.