jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Graduating: Moving Forward with a Few Takeaways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I write this article with a full heart. My last piece at Her Campus-UNH (*crying!) calls for an appreciation for the opportunities and people that were placed in my path, as well as a few takeaways that will be helpful as we propel forward.

My final days as a student at UNH are approaching. The reality is setting in and often hard for me to comprehend. I’ve accepted that graduation is going to happen, and can affirm that life outside the college-bubble does exist (how do we think we got here in the first place?). However, there are times when I get sad that things are coming to a close. Whether I’m in class and engaged in Ham Smith hall, heading to Libby’s on the weekend, or hanging with the friends that have become family, I can’t avoid feeling so many mixed emotions. Peace and gratitude for everything around me are shortly followed by the blues, knowing that my time here is coming to an end.

I thought I would reflect on a few key discoveries I’ve come across in the past 4 years. I’m hoping some seniors can relate and that underclassmen can keep these in mind.

1. Your perspective on life, love, and self-worth changes

When we entered college at 18, we had a different understanding of these concepts. We came from our hometowns and comfort zones into a new world we had to adjust to. We had expectations for the first year, chose a field of study that interested us, and figured we’d worry about jobs “when we get there”. In the four years, my circle of friends grew and I got to learn their stories, which I truly enjoy. At 22, we have overcome the “trials and errors” of college. Seniors have learned many skills and techniques, both in and out of the classroom, becoming better students, leaders, and overall, better people. I realize now that there’s still a lot more time and opportunities for our headspace on life, love, and self-worth to grow and change. I can confirm now that: everything will fall into place, the friendships I’ve found are true and strong, and I’m ready for the opportunities that will come my way.

2. If you think you’ve hit a low, you always get back up

That gen-ed class that you can’t seem to get through, the club or organization you didn’t get into, the relationship that could’ve been or didn’t work out, the friends that went their separate ways, the exams and essays that seemed overwhelming–it’s all going to be okay. Keep calm! These are the experiences that build your mental strength and encourage you to keep pushin’ through. Seniors: As you’re looking back, it doesn’t seem as big of a problem as you experienced in the moment, right? That’s comforting to recognize! You’ll still be standing in the end. If you caught the blues, seek the friends that bring those positive vibes in your life, as well as the resources available (teachers, counseling, parents, etc). It’s all about rising from the challenges!

3. Your circle of positive people = a positive mind

I’m so grateful for the friends I’ve made at UNH. Every year, I’ve met so many people who work hard and share the same values as me. We don’t realize it, but it’s intimidating to start over and find friends away from home. The connections I’ve made here are so important to me. It’s humbling to think that I didn’t know them 4 short years ago. To my friends reading this, we’ve met from that one class, dorm/living, club/organization, or opportunity that UNH put in my path, and I’m so glad we’re here. To the underclassmen, value the times you have here with friends. By the end of four years, you’ll find your people.

4. Maintain a balance

This balance consists of academics, extracurriculars and the party/social scene, but also time for yourself. When you put effort into your classes and studies each day, positive results will follow. College classes are a whole different ball-game than what you’ve experienced in high school. Prioritize your time and organize the material so that you can perform effectively. Don’t forget to make the most of your weekends too!! Enjoy those parties in a safe, respectful way! It’s a refreshing break from the weekly grind. As a senior, I’ve discovered the study habits that work for me, lived it up on the weekends, and incorporated down time to refocus (going to the gym, listening to podcasts, writing, going on a drive, etc!) Keeping this balance so important, and can be utilized moving forward.  

In a few weeks, UNH won’t physically be my home anymore. The campus that was so foreign to me became so special in a matter of years. I’m so grateful! You truly can’t get through the challenges and steps in life without: a strong mind, support system, perseverance, and a big heart. I hope this resonates with seniors, who may have connected with these lessons in their four years. In addition, I hope this assures the underclassmen of the growth and good times to come.

Infinite congrats to the members of UNH ‘19! You will all eventually promote a company’s mission, start your own business, build skyscrapers and bridges, teach students, help patients, or write a book (plus other occupations i may have left out!). For now, let’s kill it out there and continue to find the way.

Hi I'm Bri! I'm an English major with a minor in Communication from CT. I've been a Contributing Writer to the Her Campus UNH Chapter since October 2016. For the Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 school year, I was promoted to Senior Editor. The women at HC-UNH are truly amazing, displaying strength and emotion in their writing. I love being a part of the team, and reading many perspectives on music, academics, life, and relationships. 
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!