This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.
  • Go down the shore… Yes, the shore, it’s not called the beach in Jersey
    • All along the coast of New Jersey there are beaches, some better than others. You can grab delicious food including vinegar fries and orange creamsicle ice cream. You will find the beaches to be very crowded on the weekends, but as long as you don’t blast your music next to your beach mates, you will be fine.

• Try a Playa Bowl
    • Originated in Belmar, NJ, playa bowls have become a signature stable of the Jersey shore. Many places have tried to re-create these delicious acai and pitaya bowls, but nothing compares to the original.
  • Eat some disco fries at a diner
    • Jersey is known for their diners and their disco fries. These ooey-gooey French fries covered in gravy and mozzarella cheese are to die for. People tend to grab them with friends after a late night of fun since most diners are open until 2 am. A lot of diners are actually open 24 hours a day, so you could practically get these things for every meal if you wanted.
  • Take a quick trip to New York City
    • Going into the city for a day trip is so easy to do since the furthest you would travel is 2 hours from South Jersey into NYC. Often times you’ll hear us refer to NYC as “the city” as if it’s part of NJ (even though it technically is according to us). Pizza, museums, shopping, concerts, everything you want can be done while in NYC.
  • Go see a concert at PNC Bank Arts Center
    • Want to bond with friends or have an excuse to spend a day in the summer jamming out to music? Go to PNC. Nobody cares about sitting in the actual seats, lawn seats are where it’s at. They have jumbo screens to see the performers so why spend a lot of money on a ticket?
  • Get a bagel with PORK ROLL not Taylor Ham
    • Ever since the beginning of time Southern and Northern New Jersey have had differing opinions on what to call this delicious breakfast meat. It’s best served on a bagel egg and cheese, but make sure you know what part of New Jersey you are in, so you say the correct term. In Northern Jersey, it’s called Taylor ham and in Southern Jersey, it’s pork roll.
  • Stop at the infamous WAWA
    • This magical place is much more than just a convince store and gas station, it’s one of the things that make New Jersey the state it is. You can find delicious sandwiches, smoothies, coffees, and snacks. Don’t be surprised if you hear people get excited about stopping at WAWA on their trip to the shore.
  • Take a walk on the boardwalk
    • Do you want to play arcade games all day? Eat some of the best ice cream ever? Or maybe you want to admire the beach without getting sandy feet. In any case, Jersey boardwalks allow you to do all of this and more. It’s a great way to spend the summer months and late nights. Many boardwalks in Jersey are similar to mini amusement parks with rollercoasters, Ferris-wheels, and many other fun rides.
  • Not having to pump your own gas
    • Imagine a world where you don’t have to get out of your car in the freezing cold to pump your own gas. In Jersey the simple phrase “fill it up regular, cash/credit” is all you need to do. No more worries about pumping your own gas in the blistering cold or hot summer months. Some people find New Jerseyans lazy for this great advantage, but we think it’s one simple pleasure that makes being from New Jersey all that much more worth it.
  • Being super amazed by the beauty of the garden state 
    • There are so many breathtaking sites to see in New Jersey that most people don’t know about. You can find beautiful mountains, beaches, and city atmosphere all across the Garden State. If you ever have the chance to visit, you will drive away understanding why so many people love this small, yet picturesque little state that I call home.
Instagram: @alexaoleary Communication Major
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!