Wellness > Mental Health

5 Ways to Fight Seasonal Depression

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As the cold weather starts coming in, we all tend to feel a bit down. During the summer, the weather is just right; the beach is the perfect place to be and everything seems to be just right, but then winter hits, and you may feel a little different. Being outside in the cold isn’t always enjoyable for all and sometimes finding fun things to do is harder than in the summer. Here are five of my favorite things to do in the winter when I start to feel the seasonal depression kicking in.

1. Try skiing or snowboarding!

If you haven’t tried it already, skiing and snowboarding are a great way to get active in the wintertime. I know that as you get older it can get a bit harder to learn, but if you find the right mountain and person to teach you, it can be a blast!

2. Decorate for the holidays!

The winter holidays are truly the most magical time of year and decorating your house or room can put you in a great mood. Whether it be with your family, friends or just by yourself in your free time, it will make you so excited for the holidays coming up.

3. Go snow tubing!

If skiing or snowboarding is not for you, then you can always go snow tubing with your friends or family. Most mountains that have skiing and snowboarding also have snow tubing. This is a great way to have so much fun during the winter.

4. Stay in and have a movie day/night!

Sometimes you just need a day to chill out and reset, and winter days are the best days to do this. Snuggle up, put on your favorite movie or TV show, make hot cocoa or tea and just relax!

5. Look around your town for fun holiday activities!

Towns all over the world have fun activities to do during the winter months. There are light shows, outdoor skating, volunteering around town and so much more!

Marketing major at the University of New Hampshire