Fight Homesickness With A Little Familiarity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Being homesick is a natural part of going to college. You can be having a great time, meeting new people, and learning so many new things, but still occasionally have a looming feeling: missing the comforts of your home. And that’s okay, but college is the time to learn how to adjust without all of those things. Despite being away from home, you can still indulge in your favorite homey things. Here are some suggestions on how to be a bit nostalgic and stay connected to your people, without those homesick feels.

1. Send Mail

“You’ve got mail!” Writing postcards to your friends or family is a fun and easy way to stay in touch. We all know that little burst of excitement feeling when you receive something from home. It’s even nicer being able to see their handwriting or some cute stationary they’ve picked out for you. Writing back and forth adds a personal touch to an ordinary message.

2. Make A Playlist With Your Friends

If you’re like me and my friends, you have some anthems that you go all out for when singing. There’s nothing like listening to those songs that you have good memories surrounding. Collaborate with your friends to make a playlist of your core jams, or just think back to some of your best music memories. You can even make playlists with songs that remind you of certain people.

3. Try Old Things With New People

Your squad back home probably had some go-to activities that you all enjoyed. Just because you’re in a different place doesn’t mean you can’t do these things still. Getting out and showing a new group of people some of your favorite things is a great way to bond and explore, while still getting the feeling of doing something you already enjoy.

4. Do A Sweatshirt Swap

What’s better than a cozy sweatshirt?? One thing that may be better is the feeling of a loved ones’ sweatshirt. Try seeing if any of your friends would want to swap sweatshirts with you. My favorite sweatshirt is one that my friend gave me, and every time I put it on I am reminded of our friendship. When you’re missing them, you can put it on and feel a little piece of them with you. If your friends aren’t willing to give up a sweatshirt, steal one from a parent. They’ll never know!

5. Video Call

Video calling is obviously a nice way to see your friends or family and hear their voices. There are many ways to do group video chats, such as a new group FaceTime feature or the Houseparty app. Houseparty is a great option because you can friend people you know and anybody can see when you’re in the house and want to chat. It’s a great way to interact with people you haven’t seen in awhile, and a nice surprise when friends join the chat. You can also introduce your new friends to your friends from home and share some college stories.

6. Recreate Some Of Your Creature Comforts

A big part of being homesick is missing certain things that you used to be around constantly. A dorm space is likely a lot different than your space at home, but there are plenty of ways to make your room homey. If you use a certain room spray at your home, bring the same scent to school and spray your room occasionally. You can also bring some decor or pictures from home to make your new room a little more familiar feeling.

unh '21 ☆ communication & international affairs
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!