The Feelings Singles Go Through On Valentine’s Day As Told By The Cast of New Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Oh, Valentine’s Day, a day to celebrate love, the invention of chocolate strawberries, and a day that millions of retailers have been bombarding you with ads about it since the day after New Year’s Day. Now there is a lot of kind and wonderful things that happen on Valentine’s Day. But for the lovely people out there without a significant other, Valentine’s Day is a day of many emotions. Allow me to elaborate on the feelings that singles go through on Valentine’s Day.

Realizing the day has finally come

The denial that it is actually happening is real. It sneaks up on you and you truly are never emotionally prepared for all of the feels you are going to have on this dreaded day.

Giving ourselves a million and one mini pep talks/compliments all day long.

I mean the day is all about showing love to someone, so why not give yourself some extra loving as well?! Put on your best strong, smart, independent woman and I don’t need any man/woman attitude and show the world you are irresistible now more than ever.

Having the urge to look an extra dash of fierce all day just because we can

Nothing adds that extra pep in your step quite like wearing a super festive outfit or something that makes you feel like a total boss. Who knows! Today could be the day you meet the one or the day that you just totally slay the game more than you usually do.

Feeling the need to boost the confidence of our fellow singles

Spreading the love to some of the most important people in your life who are also most likely feeling what you are feeling today is essential. We have to stick together and support each other during these hard times.

Feeling disgusted with every couple we see

We promise we are beyond happy for all of you. Really. But……Today is just one of those days where we are a bit grossed out by all the love in the air surrounding our oxygen.

Feeling the need to treat ourselves

Who needs someone else buying you gifts when you can already get all the things you want by yourself. It’s the best gift ever because you know you’re going to love it. I mean who knows you better than you?!

Remembering our past relationship(s) and wondering what in God’s name were we thinking

We all make mistakes, but today just brings up bad/somewhat good memories of past lovers. So much that it really makes us question our sanity at that point at which we dated them.

Feeling the need to do kind gestures/fun things for the people that really matter in our lives

And by people, We mean our pets because we know they will always be ready for the endless loving that we are going give to them. It’s the perfect scenario because we know they will never complain about it due to the fact that they are always and forever going to be down for anything. But if you don’t have a pet, I guess close friends works as well.

When we’ve seen one too many ads about Valentine’s Day on TV.

We get it. Please. Stop. Enough with these mind games. Thank you.

Wallowing in self-pity

Ah yes, that dreaded feeling we all can relate to. I mean after being bombarded with adorable couples everywhere all day long, how can you blame us for feeling a little lonely on Valentine’s Day?

Feeling the urge to eat all our feelings

Nothing makes us happier than stuffing our face with our favorite foods. Valentine’s Day helps remind us that we really need to appreciate the invention of food. It will never let you down, it will always be there for you, and it will always satisfy your needs. What more could a person ask for?!

Feeling the urge to drink all our feelings

It sounded like a good idea when you popped the cork off the first bottle of wine….

Having the overwhelming urge to watch romantic movies after we promised ourselves we wouldn’t watch romantic movies

We promised ourselves we wouldn’t do it. We knew that it would be a bad idea.  But……..our will power was not strong enough. It’s fine. Just one and then we’ll stop.

Crying

Four Rom-Coms later and we are a puddle of tears because the love just hits us too hard. The stories are just so pure and romantic that we can’t help but not become an emotionally unstable puddle. Due to feeling all the feels, our brain activates that little voice in our heads saying that we are going to be forever alone. And thus the ugly crying continues.

Having the desire to eat our feelings some more

It’s okay, today is a holiday and on holidays we are allowed to treat ourselves an extra bit. We deserve it. Just remember, the calories don’t count if you don’t say what you’re eating out loud.

Questioning what love even is

It’s natural on a day like today to question what the whole holiday is about and how it relates to you and your needs. So in a weird twisted way, Valentine’s Day helps you reevaluate what you want from a partner in your future love life! Now, it’s never a fun topic to ponder but it does give you a good check in on how the image of your ideal love might have changed.

The urge to feel some sort of love from someone is UNREAL

Love is amazing. Love is so beyond amazing and no one can deny that. But because of that fact, we just want what we think we deserve. Plain and simple. We don’t care who it’s from (well.. sometimes) all we want is just some extra loving today.

Realizing at the end of the day that being single is actually kind of awesome and that we are 100% perfect just the way are.

Although having someone there on Valentine’s Day is grand and all, we always need to remember that we are loved by others more than we know. Know that we are more than enough and we do not need someone special telling us that we are queens to make us believe it!

So keep doing your thing singles! Valentine’s Day is just one day out of the 365 days this year where we will have an opportunity to grow and experience life. Know you are incredible and totally lovable and when the time is right, Mr. or Mrs. Right will come. We can’t promise when, but we can promise it will happen. So keep your head up and wear your crown with pride.

I like adventures and Adele....But mostly Adele.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!