This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

FEED YOUR SKIN 

I have been OBSESSED with DIY skincare these last few months and my skin is happy and healthy. I thought I would share some of my favorite diy mask, scrub, toner and some other tips that I have. I am in no way shape or form an expert but this is what has been working for me! Most of the ingredients can be found in your house or are fairly cheap at any grocery store. Please test out all these products on your arm before use just in case it irritates your skin. 

So let me tell you about my skin… I have combination skin, some days it’s very dry some days especially if I’m wearing makeup all day I tend to get oily in my T-zone. My skin usually breaks out the week before and during my period or if I’m extra stressed! These breakouts occur on my cheeks and chin usually. 

SUGAR SCRUB

This scrub literally makes my skin so soft its incredible!

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon sugar

2 teaspoons melted coconut oil

A few drops of lemon  oil 

1 drop vitamin e oil

Sugar is a natural humectant which means it draws moisture from the environment into the skin. The fine particles make a great exfoliant to get rid of dead surface skin cells and reveal the glowing skin. Coconut oil is great in small amounts on the skin it is naturally antibacterial, anti-fungal and moisturizing. Lemon essential oil is a great natural treatment for reducing hyperpigmentation, redness, and acne. Over time it soothes the skin tone and gives a healthy glow! Vitamin E oil helps to block free radicals from the skin, which play a huge role in the aging process.

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR TONER

Since using this toner twice a day I have noticed that my pores have gotten smaller and I have fewer blackheads on my nose and chin. I recommend putting it on a cotton pad and in upward motions rub it all over your face.

INGREDIENTS 

1 part apple cider vinegar 

2 parts  distilled water 

I store it in a travel container and remake it each week to ensure I’m getting all the benefits of apple cider vinegar. This toner has changed my skin. If you don’t mind smelling like a salad dressing for a few minutes then you will love this toner! This toner is acidic which will restore the ph balance of your skin. 

TURMERIC MASK

This is currently my favorite mask if you can get over the kind of strange smell this mask is great! Before you apply the mask make sure your skin is freshly exfoliated and I recommend using a toner first.

INGREDIENTS 

1 teaspoon of turmeric

1 tablespoon of raw honey

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

This mask is great for acne prevention, brightening complexion and scars. Turmeric has amazing anti-inflammatory properties that target pores and calm the skin. Apple cider vinegar helps to balance ph levels in your skin and removes excess oil that is blocked in your pores. Honey is naturally antibacterial and is amazing for acne prevention. It soothes the skin and gives you a natural glow. Let the mask feed your skin for about 10 -15 minutes. When you wash it off you may see that your skin is stained slightly yellow just keep rinsing it will go away! I recommend doing face masks 2-3 times a week. This mask can also be used as an acne spot treatment if you want to just put it on the spots that you need it.

After these steps, I always moisturize it is very important. I currently use Aveeno daily moisturizer which is fragrance-free and gentle on the skin. After that, I like to use an acne spot treatment and my favorite at the moment is tea tree essential oil.

OTHER TIPS

1. Drink a TON of water!!! 

2. Change your sheets and pillowcases weekly!

3. Do your skincare routine morning and night.

4. Wash your face after working out!

5. Don’t squeeze and pick at your skin it will only make it worse!

Hello! I'm a UNH Junior, Communication major with a minor in Women's Studies! & an aspiring makeup artist! :) Makeup Instagram: brittanyautumnbeauty
Hey! I'm Ariana and I'm a Senior at the University of New Hampshire. I'm a Business Administration: Marketing major, with a minor in Anthropology. This is my fourth year writing for Her Campus, and I held the position of Campus Coordinator (Co-President) my second year! I love the friends I've made in this organization and the opportunities it has provided me. All the love, Ari