This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Chances are you’ve already seen the t-shirts being worn around campus. But you probably didn’t realize the clothing company was created by one of our fellow wildcats! Now get to know the face of WhiteTop and his vision behind it! 

Name: Chris King

Age: 20

Hometown: North Conway, NH

Major: Business Administration:  Marketing, Entrepreneurship

Year: Junior

Campus Involvement: Sigma Phi Epsilon 

What is WhiteTop?

A stylish, sustainable clothing company that gives people a tangible tool to believe in why they do what they do while encouraging you to “Reach Your Peak”.

What lead you to start WhiteTop?

I have always wanted to lead my own organization. I have always wanted to create a product, and inspire people to believe in it for the right reasons.  I have always been attracted to the things in life that don’t have definite answers. Fashion and marketing are things that adapt with how our culture advances; I wanted to be apart of both of them. I wanted to contribute my craft and inspire people to believe in themselves through the distribution of clothing.

When did the idea for the company come to you? /How long has this been in the works?

Each and every aspect of the WhiteTop logo has a meaning and purpose, those concepts are who I am. It has always been within me. It was just a matter of challenging myself to find a way to show the world the concept. I knew I wanted to do this for over a year, but this summer is where things really came together. I was living in Martha’s Vineyard working as a kayak tour guide. I would come home from long sunny island days and made it mandatory for myself to create at least one new shirt design everyday. To accomplish this I would go into the basement of my Edgartown shack, listen to Logic at its loudest level, and tack up my favorite articles of clothing on a corkboard. I would sit there in a half broken chair and just let my mind run wild while drawing wild designs on adobe illustrator. The basement was riddled with inspirational quotes, pictures of big name competitors and one enormous WhiteTop logo.

When did the line drop?

Fall November 1st 2014

What makes WhiteTop so unique?

WhiteTop it isn’t about making money, it isn’t about me, it’s about you. It was created to give you the chance to pull a shirt over your head and go after your true aspirations. Your ordinary clothing company makes cool designs and their brand value increases as people buy them. WhiteTop isn’t about looking cool. It is unique because its brand value increases as people choose to accomplish their goals. Our target market is those who believe they can find their greatness. The company gets more recognition as people go after what they really want in life.  You have to master yourself before you change the world. I hope that WhiteTop’s contribution can give you one more reason to try.

What has been the hardest part of creating your own company? /What is the best advice you could give for someone looking to start their own company?

1. NEVER SELL-OUT

2. Try, try hard, try even harder, and try again.  The creative process is a battle. Having to look deep inside of myself to create a brand was the hardest thing I have ever done. There are going to be times where you think that your work is worthless and you are never going to make it. That attitude will get you get you there. You MUST believe in why you do what you do and put your passion and purpose first.  The hardest part is battling yourself and others’ perception of what you are doing. The way I see it is if you were born to think a certain way and have the skill set to create what you think, then you are obligated to contribute your art. Kill with kindness, stay humble, and tell yourself that you can make it every day. There is no experience I have had in my life that has let me learn more about who I am then choosing to go after my dreams.

Are there other companies that you aspire to be like?

The style of Jibberish, the warmth of a North Face, with the simplicity of a Patagonia would be ideal, but at the end of the day… I will make it my own way.  I need to blaze my own trails. I watch these companies religiously and will always be proud of their work. But if you wanted a new black jacket to loose at my fraternity house, you would go buy a North Face. It is my obligation to separate myself from competitors and create demand for WhiteTop in a way that has not been done before.  

What is the next for WhiteTop? /Where do you hope to see the company 10 years from now?

On May 1st WhiteTop will be distributing Tank Tops. The design has been complete since the beginning of the summer. I cannot wait to see some of them on my people. We had to raise capital to get them ordered due to their complexity, but now we’re ready.

In ten years I see a retail store with a glossy white front, glass doors, and WhiteTop handles. I see canvas pictures of WhiteToppers from all around the US who have “reached their peak” in their desired field, on every inch of every wall. I see creative and innovative inner and outerwear hung on wooden hangers with a big WhiteTop Logo that suspends from above our register. I see employees asking customers at each and every purchase where their next peak is, and knowing each and every product from thread to zipper. I see WhiteTop funding leadership summits across the world; inspiring people to do wake up and live. When I see WhiteTop in 10 Years I am dreaming, so I guess that means I got to chase them. 

How can I get my hands on a WhiteTop shirt?

May 1st 2015 is when it really begins…

Check out WhiteTop on social media:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/WhiteTop/1562128497350181

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!