Life > Experiences

Everything You Need to Know about Living with Six Girls in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

My sophomore year at UNH has been nothing but fun so far, and that is thanks to my amazing five roommates and our apartment! The Gables Apartments at UNH give students a chance to live with five of their close friends, and I could not have gotten luckier! But, it can get a little crazy! Here are some things you should know about managing six girls in one college apartment.

1. Trash Accumulates VERY Quickly

When you have six girls eating three meals a day plus snacks in one apartment, trash is going to fill up very fast! I will be honest in saying that we will leave some trash in our closet, or keep it by the door, before everyone is ready to do a “group trash run”.

2. The Refrigerator is ALWAYS Full

Like I said above, when you have six girls eating three meals a day with one fridge, you’re not going to be able to find your food a lot of the time. Your food will get pushed to the back, things will spoil, you’ll eat someone else’s food by accident, or you end up sharing when you don’t want to. But, you will always have a snack!

3. You Always Have a Friend!

When you are having a rough or stressful day, you always have someone to come home to! It is the best when I just want to lay on the couch and watch a movie, and one of my roommates makes popcorn and we just sit there, talk, and relax.

4. You Have Six Closets!

Having six roommates means six people’s clothes you can borrow (with their permission of course!) My roommates and I are constantly sharing clothes, whether it’s just a sweatshirt for class or a going out top for a Friday night! It’s one of my favorite parts about have so many roommates who have great style!

5. Your Cycles will Sync…

I didn’t actually think this happened but let me tell you, it does! I now have an apartment with at least four synced cycles and it is not always fun. When you have a bunch of moody girls at the same time, it doesn’t always end well. But, you also have a constant support team to make you feel better, and to buy you chocolate if you need some ;)

6. Live in the Moment, it Goes by too Fast!

I’ve only know these girls for a little over a year and they’re already my best friends. Living together has been so great and we’ve already made so many memories. Sometimes I find myself constantly living in the future and then it goes by so much faster. So my last piece of advice is live in the moment, because before you know it you’ll be out of college, not living with your best friends anymore, and you’ll want to go back to these moments. You’ll miss the trash filling up, sharing clothes with five girls, and always having a friend.

UNH '25 there are so many beautiful reasons to be happy