Everything You Need to Know About the 2019 Met Gala

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The first Monday of May is fast approaching and we all know what that means- it’s time for the Met Gala. The star-studded fashion event of the year is set to take place on Monday May 6th.  Here’s what we know so far:

The Theme

The theme for the 2019 Met Gala will be: “Camp: Notes on Fashion”. Not exactly sure what this means?-Well then you’re in good company because the internet has been trying to figure it out since the theme was announced in October. As it turns out, Rihanna will not be gracing the red carpet wearing a Camp Crystal Lake t-shirt and tube socks. The theme is inspired by Susan Sontag’s 1964 essay “Notes on Camp” which defines camp in the following: “The hallmark of Camp is the spirit of extravagance. Camp is a woman walking around in a dress made of three million feathers”. The essence of Camp “is its love of the unnatural: of artifice and exaggeration”. We can expect to see bold fashion which functions both as a social and political statement.

Check out more here: https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2019/camp-notes-on-fashion

Who’s Hosting

As always, Anna Wintour of Vogue will be co-hosting the star studded event alongside the likes of Harry Styles, Alessandro Michele, Serena Williams, and Lady Gaga.  

The Exhibit

The Met’s “Camp: Notes on Fashion” exhibition will feature more than 200 pieces of men and women’s wear, sculptures, paintings, and drawings exploring fashion and the concept of “camp” from the 17th century to modern day. Daring designers such as Virgil Abloh, Alexander McQueen, John Galliano, Rei Kawakubo, Mugler, Bob Mackie, Karl Lagerfeld, and others will snag a feature in the exhibit.

Stay tuned to see what daring fashions grace this years red-carpet Monday May 6th at 7:00.   

UNH 2020
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!