Enduring THAT Class

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Enduring THAT Class

There is generally one dreaded course incorporated into every semester. If not, you’re one of the lucky ones. These classes are often the ones that fall to the wayside later making you resent them even more, especially on those late nights during which you are cramming or grappling to bridge your third page to the required fourteenth. The unfortunate reality of these courses is that they do exist but don’t always come with coinciding loopholes willing to bear some of the weight. There are however, ways that can potentially take the edge off.

Make your professor aware of your struggle. Professors deal with tons of different students in different academic situations. After all, everyone is coming from so many different backgrounds, not all high schools operate with the same curriculum and not everyone in a certain class is necessarily inept in the subject of this class. After diagnosing your area of difficulty, speaking to a professor could be quite beneficial as they may have tactics geared toward aiding your specific struggle.

Divide your work into manageable portions. Staying organized paves a smoother path leading up to your awaiting finish line. Baring the work in small amounts is better than letting your stack of work build up, later having to climb it, jump off and emotionally plummet alongside your grade. Keeping the work organized and on time makes studying easier and less time intensive later especially when studying for exams while your stress levels are already elevated. Consulting your syllabus often and frequently using your planner is the utmost useful tactic in staying organized.

Attend the class regularly. It is so easy to bail and convince yourself that you will try harder next time, or really pay attention next class. However, when your sick days are really needed, they will no longer be in existence. Although ‘ignorance is bliss,’ when exam time comes ignorance shockingly turns a bit less blissful. Your presence in class is also quite beneficial as different ideas or questions are often thrown around. These supplemental thoughts and ideas could found later assignments, especially if a topic that you tend to be partial to is brought up and related in some way to the subjects in class.

Reward yourself.  Not all things in life will be easy and these classes are a great introduction to that factor in life. After all, you are doing it. You may not always take away what the syllabus suggests, but you will walk away much closer to being fully acquainted with your true interests. You will also have newfound  and practiced tactics to ease the approach to your next, potentially bland, endeavor.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!