This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I am terrified of getting sick. I hate the thought of wasting my days away in bed with no energy, not being able to be productive in doing what I love. As a college student, germs are EVERYWHERE. The gym, desks, computers, bathrooms, you name it. I’m not saying I’m a germaphobe, but I do everything I can to stay healthy during flu season and the winter months when illness thrives. Here are some of my favorite immune-boosting foods to keep you well!

1. CITRUS FRUITS ~We’ve all heard this one. Orange juice when you’re sick is a must, and it’s so true! Citrus fruits such as grapefruit, organges, lemons, and tangerines are high in Vitamin C, which is essential for increasing the production of White Blood Cells. These cells are key in fighting infections.

2. BROCCOLI ~These little trees are packed with Vitamins such as A, C, and E which are all powerful antioxidants that strengthen our immune system. Broccoli is best eaten raw, to savor as many nutrients as possible that may be lost through cooking.

3. GINGER ~ Found most commonly in teas, seasonings, and desserts, ginger is another strong defense we should take against infection. Ginger has been found to decrease inflammation, which can help reduce a sore throat or a stuffy nose. Ginger has also been known to subside nausea.

4. YOGURT ~ Live, healthy bacteria cultures found in yogurt (probiotics) populate your intestines and overpower harmful bacteria. Yogurt is also high in Vitamin D, which helps regulate the normal function of our immune system.

5. TURMERIC ~ A bit of a food trend right now, and rightfully so! This poignantly yellow colored spice is an exceptional anti-inflammatory. It is also known to help with exercise-induced muscle damage.    

6. SPINACH ~ Delicious in salads, smoothies, or on sandwiches, spinach is excellent for battling sickness. It contains folate, which helps your body make new cells and repair DNA. It is also high in Vitamins C and A, important antioxidants to protect your body from illness.

Stay nourished. Be mindful. Carpe diem :) 

Hello! My name is Emily and I am a Senior at the University of New Hampshire studying Nutrition+Wellness. I love food, dogs, and the beach! I am excited to bring you on my journey of living well as a college student!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!