This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Over the last year, my passion for skincare has completely changed my life and my skin. For as long as I can remember, I have always enjoyed makeup and trying new products, but skincare was always thrown on the back burner.  I would wash my face and moisturize but it didn’t go much further than that. The beginning of quarantine ripped every routine I had from underneath me and I was losing my mind. Like many others, I was spending more time than ever on Tik Tok and that is when I discovered @skincarebyhyram.  Hyram is a skincare specialist who has a passion for educating others on skincare and preaching that you don’t have to pay top dollar to feel confident in your own skin. I was instantly hooked on his videos and loved hearing what he had to say. I watched almost every video he posted and I have learned so much about the Do’s and Don’ts of skincare. I think it is so important that everyone has this knowledge because it really has changed my life and skincare routine for the better.

1. Ditch the makeup wipes: Makeup wipes, as convenient as they are, are doing more harm to your skin than good. Yes, it is really important to take your makeup off, but the makeup wipes are actually full of fragrance and over exfoliates the skin. Not only are they bad for your skin, but they are also bad for the environment and create unnecessary waste. I would recommend using a cleansing balm or micellar water instead, they are gentler on the skin and actually get a much deeper clean.
  2. Fragrance-free is key: So many luxury companies fill their products with unnecessary fragrances, so they smell more luxurious, but in reality, they are just making the product worse. Fragrances should not be applied to the skin because it may cause your skin to have a reaction or become over sensitized. Brands such as CeraVe and Cetaphil are fragrance-free and can be found at your local drug store for a much lower price.
  3. The higher the price does not mean the better the quality:  When it comes to skincare there is a misconception that you have to pay top dollar to have good skin. Although I’m sure there are good products with a high price tag, there are so many amazing products at a drug store price.  
  4. Throw your face scrubs away: I know what you might be thinking but hear me out. Face scrubs are made up of plastic beads or irregularly shaped particles that you push into your face to remove excess skin. These face scrubs do more harm than good and can lead to severe skin damage. You can’t control these scrubs because all of the particles are different shapes and sizes and the pressure you apply is not constant. The better solution to this is a chemical exfoliant. A chemical exfoliant goes into your pores and pushes the dirt and built-up skin out without causing abrasion to the skin.

Now knowing a few of these tips I was able to transform my skincare routine from blah to the next level using products that were accessible and a great price. I personally have never really had any major issues with my skin other than a few breakouts here and there. The skincare routine I came up with has made those random breakouts even easier to control and manage, and I owe it all to the tips I learned from Hyram. If you have the normal skin type like I do I have my skincare routine listed below so you can see the products that I love and have changed my skin for the better.

1. CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser
  2. Garnier Micellar Cleansing water
  3. The Ordinary Glycolic Acid 7% Toning 
  4. The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% Serum
  5. The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 Serum
  6. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel Moisturizer

Make skincare a part of your everyday routine. Not only is it good for your skin but it’s a good time to self-reflect and take care of yourself. If we have learned anything from this quarantine it is that the little things truly are the most important things in life.

UNH '22 Bio
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!