Do you “Bleed Blue”?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Do you “Bleed Blue”?

As a UNH student, chances are you have heard the term “bleed blue” before. Wildcats bleed blue. It’s just what we do. We love our school so much that our blood is actually as blue as Wild E. Cat’s uniform…

Not really, but we have such pride and admiration for our school that we love to show it off. So why not show it off on Fridays? A group of marketing interns working with UNH athletics have started a campaign called “Bleed Blue Fridays”. They are encouraging all students and faculty to wear UNH gear or colors on Fridays to help show school spirit. Who doesn’t want an excuse to wear the cozy but cute UNH sweatshirt you just bought? Better yet, if the ‘Cat Crew’, as these interns call themselves, spot you in that brand new sweatshirt on a Friday, you will be given a coupon to the bookstore. Colleges across the country participate in campaigns just like this and they are looking to encourage more Wildcat Pride. We couldn’t be more excited to participate, but what will we wear?

Can you think of a week where you didn’t wear any UNH apparel? It’s hard to avoid the sweatshirts, t-shirts and other gear we have purchased or been given since we started at UNH. Now we have the perfect excuse to wear all of this gear and show school spirit by taking part in Bleed Blue Fridays. The gear alone shows that we have pride in your school, but wearing it at the same time every week, knowing that other students are wearing their attire for the same cause, only enhances our school spirit.

For the fashion-conscious girl. Maybe tossing on a UNH sweatshirt and yoga pants on a Friday afternoon isn’t your ideal outfit. However, you could easily incorporate UNH apparel or colors into your Friday attire without sacrificing your stylish habits. Pairing jeans and your favorite riding boots with any UNH sweatshirt or rugby instantly makes the entire outfit fall-ready and Bleed Blue appropriate! If sweatshirts aren’t your things, pairing a UNH t-shirt or shirt with an open cardigan, jeans, and flats can still show school spirit without seeming too casual. 

For the active girl. Sometimes sweatshirts and leggings are the only comfortable thing. If you’re an athletic girl, chances are you have an abundance of t-shirts, sweatshirts, and yoga pants or leggings. Whether you wear these on a daily basis or not, try saving your favorite UNH apparel for Fridays. Pairing your favorite athletic leggings with a long sleeve UNH t-shirt and sneakers is a cute look for the girl on the go. If this look is too active for you, pairing leggings and your favorite UNH t-shirt with a jean jacket and riding boots is still cute, comfortable and Bleed Blue ready!

For the lazy Fridays. We can all admit that once Friday comes we are pretty tired and ready for the weekend. If you don’t have class or are doing errands around campus, don’t just put on any sweatshirt. Make sure to wear that navy blue one with the white letters or even that gray one with the big paw print on the back. Those ones are especially liked on Fridays.

For the productive Fridays. Unfortunately some of us have to work on Fridays. Why not have a little school spirit when you’re at work? If you work on or around campus and can’t wear your athletic gear, how about wearing your blue and white striped Polo button down or even that navy blue blazer you bought for fall? Save your blue work attire for Fridays and participate in Bleed Blue.

On the off chance that nothing in your closet has the words UNH on it, or those clothes are specifically designated for the gym, wearing any blue on Fridays still shows school spirit and is encouraged by the Bleed Blue Campaign. Whether you’re pairing a blue sweater with jeans and flats or a cozy UNH sweatshirt with yogas and sneakers, school spirit is school spirit and we have plenty of it! Stop into campus hotspots, like Hoco, Stillings and Philly on Fridays wearing your Bleed Blue attire to get your coupon to the bookstore. Go Wildcats!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!