This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Sometimes I lay awake at night wondering how you’re doing. How’s your mom? She was always too good to us. Did your sister ever get over that boy who made her feel worthless? It’s sad how at one point in time I knew every aspect of your life like the back of my hand. Years later, I don’t even know something as simple as how you’re doing. I guess these things happen, right? One day we were laughing on the playground together and before we know it life is going 90 miles per hour and suddenly we realize its been months since we last hung out or even talked.

First and foremost, I want you to know that there is no bad blood. The friendship we were able to build is one I will always cherish. You were someone who had my back before I could hold my own, and for that I will always be thankful. No matter what happens in your life, please know that I am always cheering you on from the sidelines, even though it doesn’t seem like it.

After we grew apart, I’ve been hesitant to reach back out. I’m fearful that the bond we once had has dwindled so much that it’s past the point of completely saving. It feels like we are in such different places in our lives now and we’ve grown independently for long that I am scared things would never be the same. I’ve always regretted not trying to rekindle our friendship the second we started drifting. You were so important to me. You helped me get through some of the toughest points in life, and you were my shoulder to cry on. Now, when other people ask me how you’re doing, I must reply that I do not know. Then, they assume that we had a huge falling out or a boyfriend got in the way, but truth be told, it was just us. Both of us prioritized other things in our life and our friendship suffered the consequences.

One day, I hope our paths will cross again. Whether it be in a coffee shop or a random hardware store, I hope we will have the opportunity to be friends again. If not, please know that I wish nothing but the best for you. I know how much passion you had inside of you and have no doubt in my mind that you will accomplish great things beyond our small little town. I hope you that years from now when you’re going through old pictures of us you still smile at all the good times we had. I hope you don’t allow your insecurities eat away at you like you used to. You are worth so much more than you give yourself credit for. I hope you continue to laugh through life no matter what battles you face, something I always admired about you.

In the midst of finding ourselves, we found each other. That is something I will never regret. I wish you nothing but happiness in this life.

Love,

An Old Friend

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!