A year ago today, I made a big decision, one that has led me here to you. I went into college confused with where I wanted to go and who I wanted to be, but two years later (just a year ago today!) I chose you. Though I entered college wanting to be a writer, I have found myself on this path to being a teacher, and there is nothing that excites me more than the students I have yet to meet. I think it was written in the stars and dealt in my cards that one day I would have a class of students just like my mom.

Once upon a time, I was a young student myself. And she loved math flashcards at the kitchen table and teaching her own class of stuffed animals on weekends. Her parents were unsure where her brother and sister would go with their lives, but they always told her, “You will be a teacher one day, we just know it.”

Flash forward 15 years:

I am now twenty years old, and I don’t know much about myself, and I certainly don’t know anything about you, but I can’t wait until I do. See, I have this passion to change the world… I always have, and maybe one day I will, but it will be because of you. At the end of the day, I care that you are good human beings who seek change and want to do good in this scary world. The lessons and work that we will do together will help you strive in your academics, but there is no lesson nearly as important as how to be kind.

There is this vision in my head; a class that feels like family in a room that feels like home… a home where your art will hang on the walls, and where the bookshelves are piled high with the stories that I wish I could have read when I was your age. I know our class will celebrate our differences, appreciate our mistakes, and grow from our trials and tribulations because those are fundamental elements in the experience of education.

Just as you are human, I am too. I cannot promise to be perfect, that is simply impossible, but I will strive to the best of my ability to be as wise and comforting as a teacher needs to be.

It’s kind of a funny thing, being a student. You go through the motion’s day by day, moving on from one year to the next with more knowledge building up. But you may never truly know that with each year your teachers are growing alongside you. My primary goal as your teacher is to grow and change for the better, and though I don’t know you yet, thank you in advance for helping me flourish.

I hope one day I remember to read this letter to you, one that has developed over the years, but for now I will say this:

I cannot wait to meet you someday soon, and if no one has told you today, you are loved.

Love always,

Miss Risley   

I am currently studying English at the University of New Hampshire! After I graduate I would love to become an author... it has been my dream since I was little!