This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Everyone says that the state of your room is a representation of what’s going on in your head. Whether that’s true or not, it’s never a bad idea to do some much needed spring cleaning and decorating. Since finals are approaching and stress levels are sky-high why not create a peaceful and relaxing space. These tips are also easy to apply to your room at home.

1. Plants!

I’ve been obsessed with plants lately. Plants freshen up any space and create such a botanical wonderland. There are many house plants that are super easy to care for such as succulents, spider plants, aloe, English ivy and ferns. Plants are perfect for creating a calming and peaceful space. And hey if your room gets a lot of sunlight, might as well make it into a jungle of plants.

2) Aromatherapy

A relaxing room is not complete without a good smell to fill the air. I love oil diffusers! I have one in my dorm room and in my house. Not only can you create so many unique and lovely scents with different oils, but they have many health benefits. They can help reduce stress, promote a better night’s sleep, improve respiratory health, humidify the air and create a healthy environment. Oil diffusers are inexpensive and sold everywhere. They also make a great alternative to candles.

3) Salt rock lamp

The soft orange glow that salt rocks give off creates the perfect relaxing space especially in the evening. Salt rocks are super cool and a great addition to your cozy space. Along with setting a peaceful tone in your room, they have some benefits like purifying the air, aiding good sleep, and boosting your mood.

4) De-clutter

This is a no brainer tip, yet essential to a peaceful space. Cleaning might not be your favorite thing to do, but tidying up your room can make you feel very productive and maybe that boost in productivity will help you accomplish your homework. Adding the previous tips to your room won’t be as beneficial if your space is a mess. Cleaning up and organizing your room will also make packing up in a few weeks for summer a little easier.

Creating a peaceful space you enjoy can help you balance the chaos and stress of college and life. I hope these tips were helpful or gave you some inspiration for creating your own perfect space.

Rose K

UNH '22

Hi! I'm a sophomore communication major at UNH.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!