This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As a student at the University of New Hampshire, I am ashamed to say that I had never been on a proper hike until this past summer. With all of the gorgeous mountains and trails right at my fingertips, there was always something holding me back: my fear of heights. Thinking about standing at the peak of a mountain looking out upon the tiny world bustling below made me queasy. Although the views are breathtaking, I prefer to admire them from the comfort of solid ground.

This past July, I was in Vermont visiting my boyfriend, Max, who is of course a hiking, skiing, and mountain biking fanatic. Each trip I make up to Vermont includes some kind of outdoor pursuit that terrifies me. Let’s just say I did not make it beyond the bunny hill last ski season. However, I was determined to step out of my comfort zone and take another stab at knocking down my fear of heights.

We decided to tackle Whiteface Mountain, a 4,867-foot peak in Wilmington, New York. Gulp…

Luckily, we were able to drive up three-quarters of the mountain, so I was taking baby steps. The views were absolutely incredible as we circled around Lake Placid shimmering in the sunlight. It was a bluebird day with not a cloud in the sky. Eventually, we reached the final stretch that we needed to climb. I was shaking with nerves, and Max reminded me to keep looking forward and not down.

We began our climb. It was rocky at the start, but I managed to find my groove with Max as my spotter. About a half hour later, sweating and drained, we finally reached our destination at almost 5,000 feet in the air…wow.

I cannot put into words the kind of freedom I was feeling. Yes, I was scared out of my mind, but it all seemed to fade away when I stepped back to appreciate the pure beauty around me. It was much needed time to reflect and reconnect with ourselves. Funny thing is, we had been sitting on top of that mountain for almost an hour, and I did not want to leave. I, the girl deathly afraid of heights, could not be willed off the mountain. It was truly a moment I will never forget, and I see many more hiking trips in my future.

It is so important to break through your boundaries and take on new adventures because you really never know what you are missing!

Hello! My name is Emily and I am a Senior at the University of New Hampshire studying Nutrition+Wellness. I love food, dogs, and the beach! I am excited to bring you on my journey of living well as a college student!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!