This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Although some people might argue that Converse have always been relevant in the realm of fashion, there’s no denying the sudden abundance of this type of sneaker as in everyday shoe. The Converse Rubber Shoe Company first made their name in the shoe industry in 1917 when they designed the All-Star, which would be sold as a professional basketball shoe (prepare to have your mind blown). Ever hear of people refer to their Converse as Chuck Taylors, or even just Chucks?  Well, in 1921 the Converse company sought out Chuck Taylors, a player on their sponsored basketball team called The Converse All Stars, to help them endorse their product, and the rest is history.

Sorry for the quick history lesson but I think it’s important to note your favorite pair of shoes that you wear to the bar, the birthday party and the beach are all thanks to the basketball industry. Who would of thought?

Although The Converse Rubber Shoe Company no longer stands on it’s own, it’s new owner Nike does a good job of making new improvements all while trying to maintain the shoe’s original appearance. I guess that’s what happens when you buy a brand name for $305 million! These new improvements must be working because if you ask me, Converse are just as prominent now, if not more so, than they were about 100 years ago when they first became popular.

So why do people like Converse so much?

I think it buckles down to these 5 Any’s: Any-TIME, Any-WHERE, Any-SEASON, Any-BODY, Any-STYLE 

1.) Any-TIME

Converse can honestly be worn with almost any outfit, making them a shoe you can wear at anytime of day or night. Sundress? Converse. Jeans and sweatshirt? Converse. Casual-but-cute-yet-still-messy-look? Definitely Converse. Since most of the sneakers are so simple looking, they are an extremely versatile shoe and can be worn with a variety of different clothing options that fit your style.

2.) Any-WHERE

Going off of anytime, these outfits you paired together with the Converse can also be worn almost anywhere. Class? Converse. Lunch with family? Converse. Frat party/ bar? Yup, still Converse. Although some people may prefer heels at a party, it is becoming much more common to see people dressed for a night out in Converse instead of stilletos. Is comfort over cute the new reg? Took long enough!

3.) Any-SEASON

Although this may have something to do with the fact that New England had a seriously mild winter, it seems like Converse never went out of season. The good thing about the sneakers is that they are very easy to maintain. Whether it’s raining, snowing, or just plain gross outside it’s fairly simple to clean Converse and make them look new again. For this reason, I think people feel confident enough wearing their Converse throughout the winter months. However, fall/spring/summer are definitely when Converse are most prominent.

4.) Any-BODY

Whether you’re a young boy or fourty-five year old woman, it’s more than acceptable for you to wear Converse. There aren’t many shoes where both male and females of all ages can wear the same exactly style of shoe. Converse seems to be an exception.

5.) Any-STYLE

Like I previously said Converse were originally created as a professional basketball shoe; however, I would argue the majority of people who wear the shoe haven’t even picked up a basketball in their life. Now people with all different styles wear them. Whether you’re considered more of a hipster or more along the preppy side, you can find a way to fit Converse into your wardrobe. PLUS you can even customize them on the Converse website so they look exactly how you’d like. 

University of New Hampshire, Class of 2018 Campus Correspondent Please contact me if you would like to join our team!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!