This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Tis the season of job and internship interviews…is there anything more stressful? Coming from a girl who slaved away in an office cube all summer, finding a youthful and fun office wardrobe is not an easy feat. Looking around at the career fair last week, I saw one too many female suits (and I’m not talking Coco Chanel tweed). I need to send out a PSA immediately to all college females on the hunt for jobs: Black Express Editor Pants and a three button-down blazer is NOT your only option. There are ways of looking professional while holding on to your personal style and standing out from the bunch. How many females in suit jackets with ponytails in their hair do you think Liberty Mutual talks to at an average college fair? Do yourself a favor and stand out in more ways than one.

My favorite office looks come from a variety of stores that you wouldn’t expect. YES, Express has some token, classic pieces. I’m a catholic school brat. My wardrobe for the first 18 years of my life came from the racks of Express, I GET IT. But, college is your time to branch-out and define your style in a unique way. Do yourself a favor and look for some signature pieces at Zara and even Anthropologie. Try Marie Claire, Anne Taylor and Banana Republic. Yes, these stores can be a bit pricey, but professional clothing tends to have a more expensive tag than your average bar-wear.

Mid-waist belts, florals, polka dots, grunge-wear, booties, bulky, knit sweaters… the list is endless. A three quarter sleeve ruched blazer is a fine alternative to the traditional J. Crew look. Patterned tights and a knee length wrap dress can work wonders. Ankle boots, Mary Jane’s, and Pixie flats will add more to your ensemble then the traditional black ballerina flats any day of the week. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the classics, and looking professional in an interview is VITAL. First impressions go a long way in the real world, but the point is to be professional and to be YOU.

Keep in mind, there’s more to office wear for females than this: 

Tranform your style. Be creative. Pick a geometric print or a wide legged khaki pant for the first day. Broaden your closet and bring a bit of fun to work with you. Take the standard woman pant suit and reinvent it to this: 

Buy yourself the pieces that seem unconventional. Take a look at a jacket that is unique and not as versatile. Buy it and MAKE it versatile. Don’t be afraid to try new things. There is NOTHING wrong with picking a flowy sundress over a blazer on Friday’s at work. Personalize your style and personalize your job. You WILL be happier if you look and feel good. 

Leah Wesolaski. Fashion enthusiast. Study Abroad Florence 2012. www.wildfreecouture.blogspot.com
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!