This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

We all spent a lot of time inside during 2020 because Coronavirus struck the nation. While the pandemic caused a lot of negativity personally, it gave me a lot of time to watch shows on Netflix and Hulu. I re-watched some of my old favorites and found some really great new shows I will be continuing to follow up on. Here are my top five favorite shows that I watched in 2020. 

1. Grey’s Anatomy 

Grey’s Anatomy is one of my all-time favorite TV shows. I started watching it in high school and immediately fell in love with everything about it. This show has been running on ABC since 2005, and just reached 366 episodes last Thursday. While I don’t normally like medical TV shows or lots of blood and guts, the drama in this show is immaculate. The writers are able to keep me invested and interested in what happens next, even though the show has been on for 17 seasons. The plot involves a new surgical intern, Meredith Grey, starting her first day of work. This show follows her along through her life as she grows up and becomes a doctor. 

I highly recommend watching Grey’s Anatomy if you are looking for some good adult drama. 

2. All American

All American is a show created by the CW and is probably one of the best shows I watched this year. It takes place in California and involves a high school football team struggling to be successful. This show not only has a very good plot, but they take on a lot of social justice issues. They address racism and gang violence, and how they should not be tolerated. All American also includes main characters with mental health issues and shows how they are able to cope during their day-to-day lives. All around this show is fabulous and I suggest everyone watch it. All American can be streamed on the CW website or on Netflix.

3. The Originals 

Being a huge fan of The Vampire Diaries, I was very skeptical about starting this TV show. The Originals is a spin-off on The Vampire Diaries, taking place in New Orleans and focuses on the original vampires of the world. The main characters in this TV show are featured in The Vampire Diaries and sparked enough interest for the writers to profit from a sequel show. The Originals ran for five seasons and really stole my heart. This show had me laughing, crying, and was overall way better than I expected. I got attached to the characters right away and was very satisfied with the plot. This is another CW show and can be streamed on the CW website or Netflix. 

4. Dead to Me 

This Netflix original struck me like no other. Dead to Me is about a woman who is coping with the loss of her husband but finds herself in a tricky situation after becoming friends with a woman named Judy. This show has you on the edge of your seat the entire time. Just when you think you know what is about to happen, something else changes and things turn out different from what you would expect. I highly recommend this TV show if you don’t mind a little blood and a couple of dead bodies. 

5. Roswell New Mexico 

Roswell New Mexico is another CW show that really stands out to me. This show involves the supernatural, but not in the way you would expect. I really like this show because it is not your typical alien show and had me bawling my eyes out during the season one finale. Roswell New Mexico not only has good drama to keep you interested but it tackles issues having to do with I.C.E. and the unfair detainment of immigrants. You can stream this show on Netflix or The CW website. 

While there are many other shows I have watched this year, these had me ugly crying in ways you would never expect. Comment if you watch one of these shows, I would love to hear your thoughts!

UNH English/Journalism
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!