This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Whether you have always loved to read or want to start a new hobby this fall, this list of thrillers is perfect for you. Thrillers are the most fitting genre to read during the spooky season, just try to not get too scared!

The Perfect Marriage by Jeneva Rose

The Perfect Marriage is about Sarah Morgan, a successful and powerful attorney in Washington D.C. Sarah’s husband cannot say the same about the success of his life; Adam is a struggling writer. At Sarah and Adam’s second home out in the secluded woods, the woman Adam has been having an affair with was brutally murdered. Adam is arrested as a prime suspect in the murder. As the trial picks up, Sarah finds herself defending her husband in court. But is Adam really guilty? Read The Perfect Marriage to find out.

The Housemaid by Freida McFadden

The Housemaid follows Millie Calloway, a young woman with a suspicious past, as she is hired as a live-in housemaid for the Winchester family. Millie soon realizes that the Winchesters are not the picture-perfect family they appear to be. By the time Millie realizes her bedroom door in the attic only locks from the outside, it is far too late. Read The Housemaid to unravel Millie’s and the Winchesters’ big secrets.

If you enjoyed The Housemaid, also read The Housemaid’s Secret, the second novel in Freida McFadden’s The Housemaid Series.

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell

Ten years ago, fifteen-year-old Ellie went missing without a trace. Then She Was Gone follows Ellie’s mother, Laurel, as she tries to return to normal life after the disappearance of her daughter. Laurel meets this charming and charismatic man, Floyd. Laurel and Floyd instantly hit it off, and Laurel is introduced to Floyd’s daughter, Poppy. Poppy is a spitting image of Ellie when she was that age and Laurel is reminded of all the unanswered questions that still haunt her. What happened to Ellie, where did she go and who is still holding secrets? Read Then She Was Gone to find out.

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides

Alicia Berenson’s life is seemingly perfect; she is a famous and successful painter married to a fashion photographer, Gabriel. Nothing seems off until Gabriel returns home late from work one night and Alicia shoots him five times in the head and never speaks another word. Alicia’s refusal to speak gets her placed in a secure forensic unit. Here, she meets Theo Faber, a criminal psychotherapist, who has waited a long time to be given an opportunity to work with Alicia. The mystery of why Alicia shot her husband begins to unravel as Theo begins searching for the truth, and trust me, the truth will shock you. Read The Silent Patient to see for yourself.

The Haunting by Natasha Preston

The Haunting follows Penny as she tries to forget about her ex-boyfriend, Nash. Nash’s father was arrested for the brutal murder of four teenage girls on Halloween night last year. As the spooky season is just around the corner it is hard not to think about the town’s traumatic past. One day, Penny is Halloween costume shopping with her friends when she finds a girl from school stabbed to death in the dressing room. Penny at once knows that a copycat killer is on the loose. She will do anything to get to the bottom of this, even if it means losing people along the way. Read The Haunting to see if there is really a copycat killer on the loose.

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder (series) by Holly Jackson

Everyone in Fairview knows the tragic story: five years ago, the pretty and popular Andie Bell was murdered by her boyfriend, Sal Singh, who then killed himself. A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder follows Pippa Fitz-Amobi as she chooses this case as the topic for her final year project. She begins to uncover secrets that someone wants to stay hidden, and she risks everything to find the truth. If the real killer is still out there, how far will they go to keep Pip away from the truth?

If you enjoyed A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder, also read Good Girl, Bad Blood and As Good as Dead, the other two novels in Holly Jackson’s A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder series.

Verity by Colleen Hoover

Verity follows Lowen Ashleigh, a struggling writer as she is given the job offer of a lifetime. Jeremy Crawford, the husband of bestselling author Verity Crawford, has hired Lowen to complete the remaining books in Verity’s series as she has fallen too ill to complete them herself. Lowen goes through Verity’s notes and other writings to get inspiration, but what she does not expect to find is an unfinished autobiography that Verity never intended anyone to read. As Lowen develops feelings for Jeremy, she recognizes all the ways he would benefit from reading his wife’s words. Read Verity to discover whose truth is the lie.

Chloe Faucher is freshman at the University of New Hampshire. She plans to major in Marketing. She loves to read; her favorite genres are romance and thriller. She also love music, whether it's making music, listening to music, or going to concerts. You will also often find her hanging out with friends, playing tennis, going to the gym, and laughing.