Best Matte Lipsticks of 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With the release of Kylie Jenner’s new lip kits came the instant fad of matte lipsticks, of every color and of every brand. Despite the buzz surrounding matte lipsticks, many girls are unaware of the hidden matte lipstick gems. So we, at Her Campus UNH, decided to compile a list of our personal favorites.

Kylie Cosmetics Lip Kits

Cost: $29.00 USD

While this brand is clearly not a hidden gem, being the one that sky rocketed the matte fad to fame, it is actually a personal favorite of many. The color is durable and withholds it’s color even through drinks and hours of activity. Although it is a little on the pricier side, when accounting for the shipping costs, this matte lip kit is well worth the money.

Too Faced Melted Matte Liquified Matte Lipstick

Cost: $21.00

This lipstick, available in 18 different colors, not only receives an average of 4 and a half star ratings but it’s the only lipstick on this list that plumps lips through the infusion of a no-sting lip plumper and filler. This ensures that the color always looks rich and full, a trait that is sometimes hard to come by in matte lipsticks. Additionally, the website shows the lip color on different skin tones, making the process a whole lot easier for online shoppers.

Tarte Creamy Matte Lip Paint

Cost: $20.00

With fifteen different long-lasting colors to choose from, this matte lip paint is even favored by some over the Kylie Lip Kits. The website not only provides various pictures of the array of colors to choose from, but it also demonstrates the correct way to apply the lip paint through the use of a short video.

Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick

Cost: $20.00

With over a thousand positive reviews on the website, a nearly five star rating, and twenty eight colors to choose from, Kat Von D’s matte lipstick is a surely to be a great investment. Not only does this lipstick claim to hold for 24 hours, but it has over a thousand reviews backing the seemingly unrealistic statement up. The website also provides a directional lip contouring video and who even knew that was a thing?

Anastasia Beverly Hills Liquid Lipstick

Cost: $20.00

Available in 33 different shades, the intensely pigmented, cult-favorite liquid formula promises full coverage and a non-drying formula. The flat sponge-tip applicator allows for easy precision when applying the lipstick, making it a fan favorite for many. When ordering online, free shipping is only five dollars away! Buy the Anastasia Lip Primer for $8 to receive your free shipping and prime your lips before applying your lipstick. It’s a win-win for all!

NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream

Cost: $6.00

This lip cream, despite it’s incredibly low price, can boast a high 4.5 star rating with over two thousand reviews. Available in 34 shades, this lip cream is an amazing alternative to some of the pricier matte lip brands. The lip cream not only claims to be surprisingly durable, lightweight and creamy, but it also contains a sweetly scented formula making it a clear matte favorite.

ColourPop Ultra Matte Lip

Cost: $6.00

Another great alternative to some of the pricier brands, this matte lip comes in a variety of shades with some hilarious names. Rumored to have an eerily similar formula to the Kylie Cosmetics Lip Kit, this matte lip is a great investment for those who are not yet sure how they feel about the matte fad. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!