This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Okay everyone, let’s get down to business. Climate change is real, and it is happening faster than scientists ever predicted that it would. Everyone has a responsibility to take care of the world we live in by making changes in their lives to be more sustainable. However, I want to discuss the part of environmental activism that nobody talks about: guilt and shame. 

There’s no doubt that individual actions matter when it comes to sustainability. Using a metal straw, recycling, going vegetarian, growing your own food, reducing the amount of plastic in our homes, etc. are all very good choices that do indeed make a difference, however let’s not pretend it is easy to make the change to a completely sustainable lifestyle. In order to become 100% sustainable, that requires a significant amount of change, and some pricey purchases. For example, the other day I went to a small country store and picked up some groceries. In total, I bought 4 small food items. All of the items used recyclable or compostable packaging, and buying from a small “mom and pop” shop is better for the environment than buying from large corporations that pollute our atmosphere. The total for these items came to $36. That is an insane price for the amount that I bought. I went to a chain supermarket later that day and picked up two food items for $4.00. Making sustainable food purchases is simply not realistic for everyone. 

Putting aside the problems with buying food sustainably, the fashion industry is causing major problems for the environment. According to The World Bank, the fashion industry alone is responsible for 10% of carbon emissions every year. Not to mention the amount of unpaid labor, often times child labor, that goes into making famous fashion brands what they are. As college students, financial struggles are something I am sure we can all identify with. Cheap online stores like Shein and Romwe are easy ways to buy cute clothes in bulk while not breaking the bank. However they use sweatshops to make their clothes that significantly increase global carbon emissions. So what other options are there? There are plenty of brands that sell clothing made from recycled materials and using ethical labor practices, but they are much more expensive, making these options not easily accessible to a lot of people. You can also go thrifting, but thanks to the increasing amount of people buying things from goodwill and other thrift stores and then selling them on Depop and other shops just like it, thrift stores have been forced to raise their prices. Not to mention, plus sized people have a really hard time finding thrifted clothing options.  Because of this, there really is no easy option when it comes to sustainable fashion, so there is no reason to feel guilty for buying from cheap online shops every now and then when the other options are so limited. 

This article is not meant to make you feel hopeless about the state of society when it comes to environmental regulation and sustainability. Rather I want to take the stigma away from people who are not 100% sustainable. It is possible to love and care about the environment while buying food in plastic packaging, not using a metal straw every day, and eating meat. Personally, I care less about everyone having a 100% sustainable lifestyle than I do everyone making little changes in their lives that will make a difference. As for me, I gave up eating beef to reduce my methane consumption, bought reusable dryer balls to use instead of single use dryer sheets for when I do laundry, use a refillable water bottle, and use reusable packaging such as beeswax wrap and glass containers. While these actions may not save the world, they do have an impact whether we see it or not. 

Now, for the blame. 100 corporations are responsible for 71% of global carbon emissions. These corporations have a monopoly over many industries and are part of the reason it is so expensive to choose sustainable options. Consumers are not to blame for the actions of the companies they buy from, especially when they dominate their industry. While I personally try to buy from companies that do take measures to protect the environment, that is not an option for everybody. Instead of “environmental activists” blaming consumers for existing in an unsustainable society, there needs to be more effort put into electing officials that will regulate these giant corporations, put a cap on carbon emissions, and move us toward more sustainable sources of energy. The most powerful thing we can do is vote for officials that are going to fight for the environment and the Green New Deal. Everyone should do everything that they are physically and financially able to do to help the environment, but don’t feel guilty if you buy something wrapped in plastic every now and then. “No one can do everything, but everyone can do something” – Max Lucado

Hi! I'm Sarah, and I am so excited to be part of Her Campus. I am a political science and communication double major, I absolutely love writing, and I'm so excited to share some of my thoughts with you guys!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!