This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Beauty pageants are such a controversial subject in today’s society.  While some people find them sexist and outdated, others find them empowering.  However, it is hard to judge these competitions from the outside without all of the information.

I have competed in beauty pageants for the past two years, and I plan on competing again this upcoming year.  I have competed in Miss Maine Teen USA which is the preliminary to the Miss Teen USA, and I will be competing in Miss Maine USA which is the preliminary to the Miss USA and Miss Universe.  I realize that on the outside these pageant systems can seem sexist – why must we judge women on their outward appearances in swimsuits, it’s 2019, shouldn’t we care more about what’s on the inside?  And I agree, we should focus on what’s on the inside, but what many do not realize is that the judges do focus on what’s inside. The interview portion is an extremely important part of the pageant, this is where the judges see who you really are as a person.  Although in my experience, the interview is only around two minutes, the judges are less concerned to know every detail in your life, and more interested in how you carry yourself and whether or not you seem like a genuinely good person. When it comes to being onstage, the judges are looking at the person, seeing how they look onstage, whether they are confident and graceful.  This person will be representing the state, and potentially the entire United States. This young lady needs to be a gracious role model for young girls, being someone they can look up to as living a healthy lifestyle.

There is also the issue of the restrictions when you enter a pageant.  If you are entering a Miss USA state pageant you must be 18-27, never married, or never have carried a child.  Some people may find this discrimination, however, the Miss USA is not the only pageant system. There are many other systems have have pageants for married women, mothers, people with disabilities, and much more.  One pageant system may not be the right one for everyone, and if you are a married woman or mother and want to compete in a pageant, all hope is not lost.

In my personal opinion and experience, pageants are not sexist.  No one is making these women join these competitions, they are doing it to have fun, and it is fun.  It gives confidence to people who may not have confidence in themselves, it helps people feel comfortable on stage, and it gives young women an unforgettable experience.  I would recommend pageantry to anyone, it is honestly such an amazing experience.

UNH '22
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!