Assessing Your Happiness And How To Improve It

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Understanding the general level of happiness among individuals is a vital aspect of studying psychology and social sciences. Happiness, a complex emotion, encompasses various dimensions of human experience, from subjective feelings of joy to broader assessments of overall well-being. Researchers have developed a multitude of questionnaires and scales to quantify and measure happiness, each attempting to take a different bite out of the apple that is happiness. 

Among the plethora of happiness scales available, assessing my own personal happiness was done utilizing the Psychological Flourishing Scale (PFS), the General Happiness Scale and the Authentic Happiness Inventory (AHI). These tests each gauged different facets of happiness, such as psychological well-being, overall subjective happiness and authentic happiness derived from living in accordance with personal values. Scores obtained from these scales provide valuable insights into individuals’ levels of happiness across various domains of their lives. 

However, analyzing my very average scores on the test requires caution due to factors that may not be quantifiable by an online self-reporting questionnaire. Individual life differences and social norms all play a role in shaping your own personal perception of happiness and your own life satisfaction and experiences of happiness. 

One significant aspect of my life that positively contributes to my happiness is my consistency in the gym and my passion for dance fitness. Ever since my high school days as a cheerleader, I’ve had a deep passion for movement and physical activity. However, upon transitioning to UNH, I momentarily lost touch with this integral part of myself.

Fortunately, I’ve found immense joy and fulfillment in teaching Zumba (dance fitness classes) at the Hamel Rec Center (HRC) four nights a week. This role not only allows me to immerse myself in the activities I love but also enables me to share my passion with others. Witnessing the progress and excitement of all who come to my class brings me a profound sense of satisfaction and happiness. Engaging in dance fitness and teaching at the gym has become more than just a hobby or a pastime for me — it’s a vital component of my well-being. 

One aspect of my life that negatively impacts my personal potential for happiness and contentment is my habit of self-criticizing and negative thought patterns. I often catch myself overthinking situations, past or present, and dwelling on mistakes. Negative thought patterns play a huge role in my perception of reality, and I often find myself overlooking the positive things because of my default pessimistic outlook. Working on self-affirmations and creating a routine has helped combat self-defeating beliefs and enhance the enjoyment of my life and the experiences in it. I have to make an extra effort to maintain my appreciation for temporary moments of joy and contentment as well as focusing on being consistently resilient. 

Cultivating gratitude in the little things and focusing on the positive aspects of life has truly helped me counteract negative patterns and promote more balanced and optimistic outlooks. Nurturing supportive relationships with close friends and family means a lot to me and highlighting the positives after visiting with them is encouraging and satisfies my need for love and belonging. Practicing self-care and self-compassion has also been a tool in my box. Whether that means going to the gym to practice Zumba or taking a day off from the gym, I treat myself with kindness and understanding. Especially since the days when I need a break from the gym are typically the days I am filled with self-doubt and over-criticism. Engaging in meaningful activities that provide me with a sense of fulfillment and purpose tends to bring the best outcome, which is why I turn to the gym most days. Although I am far from achieving this every day, I am actively trying to foster greater resilience and acceptance of myself to lead to a happier tomorrow.

Among the traits discovered in my personal comprehensive breakdown from the VIA survey on the Authentic Happiness website, I was surprised that I scored lower than I would have expected. First being “Humor and Playfulness”, and second, “Curiosity and interest in the world.” By taking this 240-question character strengths test, I got to know myself better and learn how to improve on these traits. Learning more about my baseline, or my setpoint, has already been very beneficial a month into the semester. 

Firstly, regarding humor and playfulness, I found it intriguing that I scored lower in this section than I anticipated. I’ve always considered myself someone who enjoys humor and finds the light in most situations. However, upon reflection, I realized that while I do appreciate humor and its ability to bring joy to others, I might not actively engage in playful behavior as much as I could and should. This could be due to a combination of factors, such as societal expectations of seriousness in certain situations or simply being preoccupied with other things going on in life. Additionally, I may sometimes overlook the importance of humor and “loosening up a bit” in fostering creativity and building connections with others. I often lead group meetings and group exercise classes, and becoming more comfortable with myself and allowing myself to be silly in front of a larger group would be beneficial to my well-being and may boost my confidence as a leader and as a person. 

The second trait that caught my attention was curiosity and interest in the world. As someone who values learning and exploration, I had expected this trait to be among my top strengths. However, the results indicated otherwise. Upon further reflection, I realized that while I do have a genuine interest in learning and discovering new things, I may not always actively pursue opportunities for exploration. I love going to museums and breakout sessions pertaining to things that I am passionate about, but things that I am not are often quite difficult for me to get invested in. This could be attributed to factors like my tendency to prioritize immediate tasks overindulging in curiosity, or perhaps a fear of stepping out of my comfort zone. With change being such a challenging thing for me, I think it’s a mixture of both. Additionally, in today’s super fast-paced world, it’s easy to become consumed by routine and overlook the importance of seeking adventure and fostering a sense of curiosity.

In terms of improving on these traits, I believe that age can indeed play a significant role. As indicated in an article by Linley et al. (2007), individuals typically improve on these measures as they age. I imagine that with time I will become wiser and have a better understanding of the world around me and who I want to be. I anticipate becoming more comfortable with myself and my sense of humor and I will continue to strive to not take things so seriously as I begin to have less on my plate once I get into the workforce and move into my own home. 

Similarly, as I grow older, I expect my curiosity and interest in the world to flourish. With age comes a broader perspective and a greater appreciation for the environment around me. As I mentioned before, living in my own space and working my own career with a degree that I worked for will alleviate a lot of the seriousness and stress that burdens me every day, allowing me to take life less seriously and allow me to spend more time nurturing joy and curiosity. 

I plan to continue prioritizing experiencing new things and going on spontaneous adventures to trigger curiosity and I never plan to stop learning no matter how old I get. Embracing the idea that I know close to nothing about a lot of really cool things certainly excites me and I am confident that focusing on these traits can contribute to a more fulfilling life.

In conclusion, while it was enlightening to explore my character strengths through the VIA Survey, it also provided valuable insights into areas where I have room for growth. By acknowledging and reflecting on these traits, I am motivated to actively work towards enhancing my sense of humor, playfulness, curiosity, and interest in the world around me. With time and an eager willingness to embrace new experiences, I am optimistic about my potential for personal growth and development as I age and tap into these aspects of my personality a bit more. 

Assess your happiness levels and learn more about how you can improve up to 40% of your own subjective well-being on your own by reading The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky, or by visiting the Authentic Happiness Website and taking a few questionnaires, here: https://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu. You do have to make an account, but it doesn’t take long and has no cost. Best of luck on your path to happiness!

UNH CHHS 2025 Health Sciences & Kinesiology (603) 998-9746