This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As I get older, I feel like I have learned a lot from my past experiences and from others. I’ve gathered so much advice over the years that my younger self could have benefitted from. Looking back on those years now, I wouldn’t change my experiences because they have helped me grow into the person I am today. However, I have learned a few things that may be helpful for others, and that my younger self could have used. These are some of my most important pieces of advice that I have found helpful and use in my everyday life. 

1. You are in charge of your own happiness

Nobody else can make you completely happy other than yourself. It’s important to have people who do make you happy in life, but at the end of the day it’s your job to do what makes you happy. It’s your life and you’re the one in charge of it. 

2. Be your own leader

One of my biggest pieces of advice is to be your own leader. I feel so much more empowered making my own decisions and not worrying about what others think. It is so important to feel confident and comfortable with your decisions, so I would rather be the one calling the shots in my life. 

3. Surround yourself with people who have a positive impact on your life

I think it is super important to have people in your life that empower you and bring out the best in you. Nobody wants toxic people surrounding them, so I think it’s completely reasonable to break ties with people who are constantly bringing you down. 

4. Learn from your mistakes

I know I have messed up a lot in the past and even the present. I have found that it is more beneficial to view your mistakes as a learning experience. It is much better to grow from them than dwell on them. They can help you in the future and make you a stronger person.   

5. Everybody has different experiences

Nobody experiences life the same. We are all different people with different experiences, so there is no need to compare yourself to other people when you are completely different from them. There is no universal roadmap for how everyone is going to live their life and experience things. Everybody is different and will experience life in their own way.

I hope you found some of this advice helpful!

– Sophia 

Hi I'm Sophia Badala! I am a senior here at UNH studying Business Administration with a focus in Marketing. This is my fourth year writing for Her Campus and I love being a part of this team!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!