According to My Social Media, My Life is Perfect…

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

If you look at my social media profile, you may think that I am constantly hanging out with friends, going to tailgates or parties and having a great time. I don’t post receipts of the hours I spend doing homework, the endless binges of Grey’s Anatomy episodes or the frigid cold walks to class that I hate so much. We collectively as a society document the fun and enjoyable times rather than the boring and typical everyday experiences we all have. If you take a look at my social media profile, you may assume that my life is perfect but in reality, there is no such thing as perfect.

Have you ever been scrolling through Instagram, TikTok or Snapchat and wished that you had the life of someone else? Ever thought to yourself, “Wow, I wish I could do that” or “Geez, I wish I had that body”? We all have been there in a mindset where we wish we didn’t live the life we live and rather had one of someone else. I can guarantee you that the lives of the people that you wish you could step into aren’t nearly as great as they seem. 

I realized this when I told my friends from home that I wasn’t nearly enjoying something as much as they thought I had been. Their reactions were all fairly uniform; with disbelief, they would ask me, “Really? It looks like you’re having so much fun!” I had to explain to them that not everything that is posted is genuine. Not everything is as enjoyable or as perfect as it appears to be online. 

In our current society, we are all guilty of doing this; posting a picture of you and your friends, when behind the scenes it was so simple as all getting together to take that photo. Maybe there had been an argument earlier in the day, or you arrived at the function late because there was a miscommunication. These less photogenic moments are not seen by people outside because that is not what we want to be seen. We all want our lives to look fun, glamorous and carefree. 

Next time you scroll through your social media feed, try to remember that not everybody’s lives are as perfect as they post them to be. Everybody has their own demons, and we collectively should no longer compare our lives to the lives of those around us. We need to enjoy the little moments, be thankful for the little things and simply have fun.

Hi! My name is Jenna Smith and I am a sophomore at the University of New Hampshire. I am a Social Work major and am looking to become a double major with an addition business degree. I am from Gloucester, MA which is a small island on the North Shore of MA. When I am not working or in class, I am found hanging with friends or spending time in the sun.