This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Throughout anyone’s life, one of the most influential people someone can meet is a teacher. Teachers can leave a lasting impact on someone’s life and truly affect their students. They are some of the most passionate, hard-working and resilient people you’ll ever meet. I have been lucky enough to have some of the best teachers in the world. I can not thank them enough for what they have done for me. 

First, thank you for listening. I can not tell you the amount of times I walked into a teacher’s room just to rant about anything going on in my life. Sometimes it would be the smallest of things but my teacher sat there, listened, gave me advice and reassured me. Just the fact of having someone there is sometimes all we really need. When schoolwork gets overwhelming or your social life seems to be falling apart, teachers are there right by your side. 

Thank you for caring. Everyone has those days when they just aren’t feeling it but they don’t want to tell anyone. I know I have been there and when a teacher would notice and talk to me about it always made me feel better. They know you better than you think and care more about your wellness than what grade you might get. 

Thank you for being passionate about your job. There are a few things I mean by this. One is when a teacher truly loves their subject, it makes the students love it too. Seeing a teacher get excited can ignite a spark in their students and perk up their curiosity. I also thank teachers for being passionate because they worked more than their “job hours”. They always have to bring work home, whether that is grading papers or answering emails, teachers are working almost all hours of the day. 

While there are countless other things I could thank teachers for, the last one I will say is, thank you for seeing something in your students even if they couldn’t see it for themselves. When a teacher says “I’m proud of you” or “you can do it,” you might feel like you’re on top of the world. They work to build your confidence and want you to succeed. They see something in all their students and love watching them grow up. I can not express how thankful I am for teachers and they deserve all the credit in the world for what they do.

University of New Hampshire '24 | Journalism Major | Boston, Mass :)