My sister and I in our backyard, taking photos together.
Jenna Godin

A Proud Sister

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

While everyone was partying in Fort Lauderdale, I went to Flordia for spring break to watch my sister play softball for Bentley. Since I’ve been at school I have missed most of my sister’s softball games when she was in high school. The only time I got to see her play was when we played together for one season when she was a freshman and I was a senior. Even when she was just a freshman in high school I knew she was going to accomplish so much. 

Softball has been a huge part of our lives ever since we were little. We both started at a young age and my dad has couched my sister from a young age and was also our high school coach. So when I wasn’t able to watch her play it felt like something was missing. 

My sister and I have a very sister-like relationship. We fight and we also have our secrets. We are there for each other when we need each other but we don’t need to talk every day. She’s a straightforward person and she’s not afraid to call me out. She steals my clothes, I get mad. It’s a normal bond. We might not have everything in common but our passion for softball is something we share. One of my favorite stories is how I found out she committed to Bentley. Her best friend actually called me goes “Katie needs to tell you something” she hands the phone to Katie and tells me she committed. I first congratulated her and then said “Why didn’t you just call me?”. That’s probably the most Katie thing she could have done. 

Last week was something I’ll always remember. Seeing how happy she was playing with girls she just met and didn’t grow up playing with, brought out another side of her. She seemed more mature and honestly, she looked like she really belonged there. But you could see how determined she was to perform. She knew she was starting over and had to prove herself. I know when my sister is mad and at one point the umpire called her out (when she was safe) and before she could react I turned to my mom and I told her “Katie is going to be so mad”. And by the look on her face and her hands on her head in frustration, she was mad. She has a passion for the sport like no one else I know. But all and all, she played so well. I loved being the supportive older sister cheering her on. She always had the potential to do great things and I finally got to see everything she accomplished after missing so much. 

Hi! I'm Lauren and I am a Senior Genetics Major and CC for Her Campus at UNH in a world where you can be anything, be kind :)