This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

With the holidays coming around and everybody’s schedules starting to ramp up, I’m here to share the one-stop shop for adorable holiday gifts for your family and friends. In the past, dollar stores have gotten a bad rap, but let me be the first to tell you that they are a great spot for inexpensive holiday gifts. The dollar store has always been my go-to place for little gifts for friends and family. It’s easy for gifts to get expensive when finding and buying gifts for friends and family. Here is my essential gift guide featuring the dollar store!

Festive Basket/bin

Whatever you pick will be perfect! This creates a more personal gift and makes it personable and aesthetic. They have lots of options like size, color and calligraphy on the bin. To go with this you can also grab festive tissue paper and decorate it with your favorite holiday-themed decorations.

Baking mixes

The dollar store is a fantastic place to grab easy baking mixes. The mixes are very easy to make and the recipe consists of just the mix, an egg or butter and either oil or water. They have a lot of variety amongst the mixes ranging from brownies, blueberry muffins, snickerdoodle cookies, chocolate chip cookies, birthday cake and more! It leaves room for so much creativity to happen and to make your loved ones really personal gifts for the holidays.

dRINK PACKETS

There is always a great collection of drink packets that you can mix with any liquid, but personally, I love putting them in my water bottle. The flavors are so creative such as Skittles, strawberry Starburst or orange Sunkist! But they also have subtle flavors which are my favorite such as pink lemonade, strawberry lemonade, peach or lemon iced tea! These would be perfect for a little basket and can be personalized to the person’s liking!

Snacks

I have never met someone who doesn’t love snacks! I think this is another great item that you can choose how little or much you want to give in your gift basket. The dollar store has a huge variety of your favorite snacks that range from salty to sweet depending on what type of basket you are going for!

Popcorn
Sara Carte / Spoon
Candy

Similarly to the snacks…you can never go wrong with some of their favorite candies! Take time to ask your loved one their favorite candy, or maybe you already know. Making sure to include some of their favorites and maybe something new if you see something that catches your eye…who doesn’t love a surprise?!

The girl essentials

The dollar store has a wide variety of girl essentials, such as makeup, hair care, shower essentials and nail polish. Not everything there you are going to want to get because it’s cheap, but I have to say the nail polish works really well, and you can’t beat the price! I would have to say the best things from the health and beauty section of the dollar store to put in your basket would be their favorite nail polish colors, maybe some press-on nails, a loofa and anything else you think they need or might appreciate! They also have decent hand lotions that are always worth a shot checking out what scents they have in stock.

Candles

Nothing says “the holidays” more than a holiday-scented candle. Adding one or two holiday candles to your gift basket adds a new dimension to your basket!

Car refreshers

Car refreshers are a great gift to give your loved ones, they have a wide variety of scents for any particular style. Don’t worry about getting a bunch of them because they last a while!

gum/mints

Lastly, you can absolutely never go wrong with gum or some fun mints. They are a great last-minute addition to a gift basket if you need to fill a little more space.

These are just some of my recommendations for an inexpensive but thoughtful take on holiday gift-giving. You can definitely change and/or add items based on your budget or the person you are shopping for!

Molly Sullivan is majoring in nursing. She loves to do anything outdoors such as mountain biking, skiing, golfing as well as cooking and baking.