8 Easy Do’s for Curly Q’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

8 Easy Do’s for Curly Q’s

Curly hair has finally started coming back into style and us curly Q’s are ready to Let It Fro.

No, I’m not talking about this “curly hair”:

This is not curly hair. I’m talking about the frizzy, can’t-go-in-the-rain, product essential, animal-like, shedding, bouncy, banana curlsThe toughest thing about being a curly Q is getting up in the morning and taming your mane before going into public. Straight hair people ask, “..just brush it and it’ll untangle you’ll be fine”. Oh. We will be far from fine. Us Q’s know that when you brush your curls you turn into something like Mrs. Frankenstein: 

Every curly head knows that unless you have time to shampoo and condition in the shower that morning, the fro is going in an up-do. There is NO “showering before bed”. Of course there is the simple “hat day” or the “workout clothes, a braid and a sweat headband” days to cover up your bed head, but what about when we want to look cute but don’t have time to wash our hair? How do we contain the frizz when we do have time to wash it before class?

Here are 8 easy do’s for you to shape your lion’s mane before going to class:

1.     Let It Fro………..down the middle

You can certainly get up those few extra minutes early in the morning to wash your hair and wear your natural curls. Using products such as mousse and certain oils (ex. Morocan Oil) will helps control frizz and bring out the shine. There’s always the normal side part we’re always used to, but change it up and part your hair down the middle, because Beyoncé made it trendy and we thank her for that.

2.     Half Up Half Down

Another do for when you want to wash your hair in the morning, half up half down is a go to. Get a small clip and pin up half of your curls either low towards the back of your head, or towards the front with a small poof. Either put the top half in the clip of put it into a small bun, or ponytail like Ariana Grande. You can even let a couple of strands of hair come down over your ears for a cute laid back look.

3.     Low bun with Middle Part

Now any lioness knows her mane cannot be slept on and expect to wear it down the next day. Sleeping on your curls produces some new type of curl that involves reverse curls, parts that miraculously got straightened in the night, and frizz like its 90% humidity outside. So, up-do’s are essential if you want to get up and go quick. A low tight bun with a middle part can be worn fancy or casual and is super easy to do.

4.     High Bun with a Headband

A messy and cute look that’s perfect for those quick 8 a.m. classes you’ll need to run to. Thick or thin, the headband doesn’t matter. Headbands are essential for curly hair, because putting your hair up = fly aways/whispies and that hasn’t been a good look since we were in elementary school. However, a couple of strands of hair can be pulled over your ears and if they’re too whispy, touch them up with a straightener. Simple yet it looks like you put effort in to get ready that day.

5.     Low/High Bun with Twist

This look can also be fancy or casual depending on how tight you want the twist. 

6.     A Big A** Sock Bun

A huge sock bun is a perfect way to get a very large, casual (or fancy) contained bun. Sock buns are perfect for a messy bun you’ll never have to keep adjusting, as long as you can make it correctly.

7.     French Braid

The go-to braid for curly hair. Side braids work but not if you just woke up, it’ll probably look more like a mullet. Hide your fly-aways/whispies with a fashionable headband.

8.     Bangs

Some people have bangs, some don’t. Either way, your bangs can work with any of these styles because of one thing, and one thing only: Bobby pins. They work wonders. So twist, pin, or just wear them down and styled, as you like.

So don’t be afraid to let it fro: curly hair is a blessing. It’s in (and straight hair is always trying to be curly.) Don’t iron your hair because your hair is frotastic, you should embrace its beauty. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!