7 Things To Do When UNH Blacks Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

This season, UNH has seen its fair share of power outages this year. We’ve been hit with Sandy, Nemo, Q and most recently, Rocky. And while these storms have not left us with many days off from class, it has sure left us with many powerless nights. Sometimes however, it is nice when we are suddenly plunged into darkness; we can put down our pencils, close our books, light some candles and enjoy the ambiance. But now what? The Internet is down! There is no TV! There isn’t even enough light to read an enjoyable book by! What do we do UNH? What do we do? First of all, stop panicking. Here are some fun ideas to keep you occupied until the lights come back on!

[pagebreak]

Pillow Fort

Lay out your best blankets and pillows and make a great pillow fort. Stop at nothing to create your kingdom! Pull pillows off the couch, use lampposts for support, and blankets as a ceiling! Once its constructed you and your friends can snuggle on in and chit chat the night away. (Disclaimer: do not bring candles into the pillow fort, house fire will ensue) 

[pagebreak]

Pow Pow 

If the fort is too much effort drag your roommates out of their rooms and set up camp in the living room. A good ole sleepover is what you need! We used to live for the days when our friends would call us up and ask us to sleep over on the weekends. So circle up and let you mind relax from all that studying by chit chatting with your girl friends. 

[pagebreak]

Spa Night

Picture this: Candles dimly lighting the room, soft incense is wafting about, you are in your softest robe and there is a hint of the scent of lavender lotion. You literally have a spa in the making. Candles definitely give off enough light to pop open some of you favorite magazines and dish about the latest gossip in the land of celebrities. After that you and your friends can take turns giving each other massages! (If you’re feeling brave, you can even paint your nails by candlelight!

[pagebreak]

Eat

You know how there are those hip restaurants where you eat in the dark so you can appreciate the taste of the food? Do that. Blind fold your roommate and take turns going to the fridge and finding food to enjoy. (Just don’t keep the fridge open too long.) Feed them elegant cheese, fruit, leftover pasta, or you know, pickles. 

[pagebreak]

Flashlight Tag

By now you have to have a flashlight. (If you don’t have one, don’t worry, there’s an app for that!)  I don’t know about you but I hate fumbling through the dark to find things, so I gotta have my flashlight by my side at all times. It’s a little old fashioned, but again, these are the games that made up your youth! Why not have them occupy some of your collegiate years as well?

[pagebreak]

Cards

Candles and flashlights is enough light to get a rousing game of cards going. Play some of your old favorites! Old Maid, Go Fish, Poker, Egyptian Rat Screw! You never have time to play these games with all the studying you’re doing during the week, so revisit some of these classics and have some fun. 

[pagebreak]

Hide and Seek

Here’s a game that I bet you haven’t played since you were a kid. Well guess what? It’s about twenty times more fun when you can’t see a darn thing. Challenge your roommates or invite some friends over and get a good old-fashioned game of hide and seek going. It’s not like there are enough places to hide in our tiny and poorly furnished apartments for a regular game anyway, so adding darkness just makes it all the more exciting!